Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What year and verison of XC90 is the best to buy used?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES6T
The T6 is a 2.9L inline 6 with twin turbos. The 2.5T is a 2.5L inline 5 cylinder with a single turbo. Volvo makes several 5 cylinder engines and the T5 designation is already used by a different variation of it.

I would never recommend anyone buy a T6 XC90, unless the transmission, radiator, transmission cooler and lines have been replaced and the TCM software is up to date. And even then, I would suggest a 2.5T. It is much more reliable.
Well I made an offer on the 2.5L. I can't stand the thought of needing 18 new transmissions for the T6. Sure, it was black and shiny and pretty, but so are the high heels I can't wear. I end up in the orthopedic lumbar support loafers, just like the 2.5L - it is more of a dull silver.
Does the 2.5L at least have some speedy ZOOOM pick up to it? I have to say, I was always proud of my wagon - the V70 could sure move. Getting around in the Chicago area traffic is much easier when
you have some testosterone in spherical shapes under your hood.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:03 PM

@ArdentlyOpposed: I just purchased a 2.5t and it is not fast, but unless you are used to a sports car, it gets around fine. My wife is taking some time to adjust because she's never driven a turbo and gives it more throttle while waiting for the turbo to spool and then it takes off on her. I told her to be patient and the power will be there. My last Volvo was a 850 Turbo and the XC90 feels more powerful than that.

Thanks to everyone in this thread. I have been looking at XC90s for a few months and knowing about the t6 issues helped us decide on the 2.5t and we found a beautiful 2005 AWD with 60,0000 miles on it. We are very pleased.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

As long as you don't have to tow your camper up a hill you should be fine.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by instigator
@ArdentlyOpposed: I just purchased a 2.5t and it is not fast, but unless you are used to a sports car, it gets around fine. My wife is taking some time to adjust because she's never driven a turbo and gives it more throttle while waiting for the turbo to spool and then it takes off on her. I told her to be patient and the power will be there. My last Volvo was a 850 Turbo and the XC90 feels more powerful than that.

Thanks to everyone in this thread. I have been looking at XC90s for a few months and knowing about the t6 issues helped us decide on the 2.5t and we found a beautiful 2005 AWD with 60,0000 miles on it. We are very pleased.
Well, as for me - unfortunately, the one I was attempting to purchase was already purchased - the scumbags didn't have the decency to tell me they had a deposit on the vehicle already. I mean, really.
I am still looking and getting very, very aggravated.
I understand what you are saying about the turbo kicking in. I just have a *need* for a little extra speed if you know where I am coming from. That moment, where the bag in front of you, won't move and you know there is room... There are all sorts of moments. I had a lot of them in the V70, which was surprising! In Chicago type traffic I need them. ;+) I'm not crazy or anything - I just need that little extra oomph. I HAVE TO HAVE IT!
I love to drive. If it becomes a reflex, it becomes an accident waiting to happen. I feel like I need a cigarette now.
Est mechanical man, if the T6 had the tranny overhauled but not replaced (just asking), is that a possibility or a negative still?

Last edited by ArdentlyOpposed; 10-26-2014 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-26-2014, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by ArdentlyOpposed
Well, as for me - unfortunately, the one I was attempting to purchase was already purchased - the scumbags didn't have the decency to tell me they had a deposit on the vehicle already. I mean, really.
I am still looking and getting very, very aggravated.
I understand what you are saying about the turbo kicking in. I just have a *need* for a little extra speed if you know where I am coming from. That moment, where the bag in front of you, won't move and you know there is room... There are all sorts of moments. I had a lot of them in the V70, which was surprising! In Chicago type traffic I need them. ;+) I'm not crazy or anything - I just need that little extra oomph. I HAVE TO HAVE IT!
I love to drive. If it becomes a reflex, it becomes an accident waiting to to. I feel like I need a cigarette now.
Est mechanical man, if the T6 had the tranny overhauled but not replaced (just asking), is that a possibility or a negative still?
Never towing a camper, haha - but I compare everything I drive to the Lincoln LS. I had one when they came out and those were fast, at least compared to the Mountaineer I drove prior to that.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I've seen plenty come in after a rebuild somewhere with problems. Most shops don't know how to take the passenger side axle out without damaging a seal in the chain gear, causing it to fill with ATF and leak.