Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd noise with smooth accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd noise with smooth accelerating

New member,

I have just got a xc90 d5 03 107k. It's due the big service soon. I have notice a weird noise when accelerating smoothly. It's not instant but it happens when I think the turbos spinning. I can hear it suck in air which sounds cool but the only way I can describe the noise is nails being scratched on a black board or a drill just spinning. It's a little high pitched. When stationary I rev it and the noise just occurs and loud point on the high rev.

The car does not smoke and it has not lost any power. I am yet to spray wd40 on the fan belt which I have been advised to try. Apologies if does not make much sense.

Any ideas what this noise could be.

Thanks.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:48 PM

I think I know what you're talking about as I have an 2004 Volvo XC90 and it made the same noise that you are describing. However, the transmission died on it and I had to take it in to get the transmission replaced. While it was in the shop, I had them do the major service as well. Just got the car out of the shop yesterday and drove it around expecting to hear that noise but it is no longer there. So it is probably a warning sign that you need to get it in to the shop ASAP.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=karajan;290656]I think I know what you're talking about as I have an 2004 Volvo XC90 and it made the same noise that you are describing. However, the transmission died on it and I had to take it in to get the transmission replaced. While it was in the shop, I had them do the major service as well. Just got the car out of the shop yesterday and drove it around expecting to hear that noise but it is no longer there.

Cheers, its booked in for a gear oil change at Volvo next week. Hopefully it will sort it out.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to the guy with the weird air noise under acceleration

I had the same issue with my xc90 at one of the turbos there is a vacuum line that goes to a plastic vacuum t over time those plastic parts become brittle and brake, thus causing the waste gate to stay open underboost making that wind noise under acceleration if u find that it's broke go to your local parts store get a vacuum t for 3 dollars reconnect the vacuum lines and the noise will go away, you'll get much better boost since the waste gate isn't stuck open and you'll get a 2-4 mpg increase

The following users liked this post:
Joseph Cangialosi (10-11-2020)
Old 04-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have same issue and need you assistance!

Originally Posted by fireball357
I had the same issue with my xc90 at one of the turbos there is a vacuum line that goes to a plastic vacuum t over time those plastic parts become brittle and brake, thus causing the waste gate to stay open underboost making that wind noise under acceleration if u find that it's broke go to your local parts store get a vacuum t for 3 dollars reconnect the vacuum lines and the noise will go away, you'll get much better boost since the waste gate isn't stuck open and you'll get a 2-4 mpg increase
I have an xc90 t6 just had the dealership replace my tranny that Volvo replaced for free and just had to pay labor for install, but it makes a hissing noise instead of the whine or a turbo. My question is can you adjust the waste gates on both turbos without dropping the engine and where is this "t" fitting you speak of? To me it sounds like the waste gates are open, but I thought a bad line would only prevent them from opening and not keep the open?

The following users liked this post:
Joseph Cangialosi (10-11-2020)
Old 10-14-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by fireball357

I'm quite a newbie to all this, I was wondering if someone would be able to post a photo of the part that fireball is referring to, I also have a 2005 2.5 with a slight whistle on acceleration so would like to give his fix a try but I want to make sure I'm replacing the right part. thanks in advance.

Old 10-11-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dccapital
I have an xc90 t6 just had the dealership replace my tranny that Volvo replaced for free and just had to pay labor for install, but it makes a hissing noise instead of the whine or a turbo. My question is can you adjust the waste gates on both turbos without dropping the engine and where is this "t" fitting you speak of? To me it sounds like the waste gates are open, but I thought a bad line would only prevent them from opening and not keep the open?
Does anyone have the part number for this T that everyone is speaking of?

Old 10-11-2020, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dccapital
Does anyone have the part number for this T that everyone is speaking of?