Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC90 brake rotors/pads

Old 06-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XC90 brake rotors/pads

Hi all,
Need new rotors and pads for my 2005 XC90 T6 and the local dealer wants $800 just for parts! Was wondering where I can get them for less online. I've visited various Volvo parts distributors, but they offer so many different brands I don't know which one to choose. So, does anyone know what brand Volvo uses and where to purchase them?

I've also searched the Volvo forums and found supposedly "high performance" brake alternatives that where much cheaper than the dealer prices. I'm not opposed to aftermarket parts and I'm considering the ATE PremiumOne slotted rotors with Akebono ceramic pads, or "drilled and slotted" rotors from brakeperformance.com, but I don't know if they are worth the risk. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
SG

Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 PM

If you get slotted or cross drilled rotors the brakes will not last as long, and cause more dust. I would stay away from zimmerman, ect and only get standard brembo rotors. I've tried the other brands and the almost always warp (steering wheel shakes) the brembo's don't.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the reply ckpaden.

Just in case someone else needs new rotors and pads, and if you drive a XC90 you will sooner than you think (just like tires, but that's another thread...). Here's what I learned...

First figure out what size front rotors you have (thank goodness the rear rotors are a standard size). To do this, call the dealer and give him your VIN number and he should be able to look up the part number and rotor size. For my 2005 XC90 T6 they were:

Front rotors 336mm (13.25 in) PN 30657301, dealer price $132.51 ea
Rear rotors PN 8624926, dealer price $112.90 ea.
Total cost $491.

Thanks to this site, I shopped around. For novices like me, OEM parts (Original Equipment Manufacturer) are what Volvo uses. Of course, you can buy aftermarket rotors, but didn't know much about them (vented, slotted, dimpled?) However, I did decided to go with aftermarket pads (Akebono Euro ceramic pads) just to minimize the brake dust on the rims).

Bought the OEM rotors from ipdusa.com (800-444-6473). Their cost for front rotors $93.75 ea, and rear $79.88 ea.
Total cost $366.

IPD had the Akebono pads, but I found them cheaper at Tirerack.com (888-541-1777). Total cost for front and rear pads $126, versus dealer quote of $244.

Total savings over dealer cost: $261

Hope this helps others in the market for rotors/pads.

SG

Old 06-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had my local tire guys replace my front rotors and pads using Volvo parts. Out the door for both fronts was $330 total including tax. I had my rears done by the same folks 3 years ago for about the same price. My local Volvo dealer, using the exact same parts, wanted over $800.

My suggestion, and I have had a lot of Volvos (and other European cars), is to leave the fluid changes, power train, body, and electrical work to the dealer. Tires, brakes, muffler, and alignment is best done by the local tire guys. They seem to do a much better job at 1/3 the price. And they will use original Volvo parts if you ask them to.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Regarding XC90s needing frequent brakes and tires, here is my story. Just installed my third set of tires since new at 105,000 miles. I got 49k out of the OEM Michelins, 55k out of a set of Toyo Open Country HTs. Replaced the Toyos with the same tires. My rear brakes made it to 60k miles before needing replaced. The fronts went 105k and were just replaced for the first time with 2 mm remaining. The e-brake rusted and fell apart at 60k but has not been replaced since I never used it.

Compared to my former Chevy Suburban, who went through a set of tires every 20k and brakes front and rear every 12k, the XC90 is fantastic.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Good info Stonepa. I came to the same conclusion after getting tired of paying Volvo prices for regular scheduled service (oil changes, brake pads, etc). And now use a local mechanic for that. When it comes to something big (like replacing the timing belt, transmission, etc) I'll take it to Volvo. By the way, the dealer wanted $1100 to replace all the rotors and pads...

Just in case someone is keeping score, here's my vehicle's history: bought our XC90 T6 new in 2005 for my wife. She does mostly city driving taking the kids from place to place and puts about 15K a year on the car. Currently has 89K miles on it. I've replaced the tires three times; once with Goodyear Forteras at 34k, then BF Goodrich Allenzas at 59K (that's right, only got 25k out of the GY); which I just replaced again with the same BF. I got the most out of the original Michelin Syncros (34K), but they don't make those anymore. I'll have to check out the Toyos you mentioned. For tires I use Discount Tire because they are close by and will price match Tire Rack, or anyone else.

Replaced Front rotors and pads at 29K. Rear pads at 48K. Front pads at 58k. And now all the rotors and pads at 89k.

Also, when I recently put new tires on I had to replace the front control arms; bushings were shot so they couldn't align the wheels which cost another $536 on top of the $674 for the tires

However, haven't had any transmission problems yet. So I'm hesitant to flush the fluid, or mess with it otherwise. Thoughts on that?

Overall, we're happy with the car (mostly because my wife feels safe in it), but I think our Jeep Grand Cherokee that the XC90 replaced was much more cheaper to maintain...

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences...SG

Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM

I replaced the front bushings at 105k and have replaced most of the ties rod ends front and rear. Overall my T6 has been one of the best vehicles I have owned. The vehicle still looks like new, paint is beautiful with no rust (a miracle here in NE Ohio for most cars but not Volvos), and the interior cleans up to look like new.

I would not flush the transmission fluid. However, check it occasionally (the yellow ATF dipstick by the firewall) and make sure it still has the pinkish tint to it. If it turns brown then it is time for a flush. Even then, I would think of holding off as it seems that the seals are what wreck these transmissions, not old fluid.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:38 AM

I had my firestone tire store replace the rotors for about $500 incl labor but the dealership also did it before for about the same cost.

had my tranny replaced around 90K miles and just recently the transfer case. luckily the tranny was paid for by volvo but the transfer case cost w/ labor was around $3K. ouch.