Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xc90 radio replacement kit - double din

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default xc90 radio replacement kit - double din

Just figured i would throw this out there as there seems to be a lot of questions about this on the internet, but no real solution. An aftermarket double-din radio will fit the XC90 and they actually do make a kit. I started out with single-din metra kit only to be disappointed with the quality and the match to the dash, not to mention cutting it for the double-din radio didn't exactly look good. Came across a company in the UK that sells a true DD kit, $85 to the door. Quality, fit, and texture match is perfect, even in my 2005 (says 06 and up). only catch was there is a lip in the dash that had to be trimmed for the radio to slide all the way in. did a touchscreen kenwood monitor, unbelievable difference in sound!

anyway, link: 3w.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects-ct23vl03a-volvo-xc90-2006-double-facia-plates-p-8611.html

The following users liked this post:
billshoff (12-31-2020)
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 AM

here is the finished product, for those that may be thinking of making the swap. the lip that has to be modified is inside the dash, not visible once the radio is in.

Attached Thumbnails xc90 radio replacement kit - double din-100_0809.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Bill Flint (02-20-2021)
Old 01-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring?

Hi, it looks good, although not as buttony impressive as the stock radio.

What did you do about the wiring and volvo 'puter complaining about the radio being gone? Did you use the stock speakers and amp?

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:20 AM

that part was fairly simple. I basically unscrewed the actual display from the back of the radio plate, there are thin ribbon cables that go from it to each side of the face plate for the volume / presets and then the audio control **** / buttons. Those ribbon cables slide out when a clip is released. I unhooked the CD changer (this does not throw any kind of codes). Plugged the fiber and harness back into the display unit, wrapped it in bubble wrap and tucked it behind the climate controls. So basically the only part that remains in the vehicle is the display unit, which is about the size of a credit card, but a little over an inch high.

Ignition and ground was pulled from the cig lighter. Memory and speakers were tapped at the amp under the passenger seat. I have bypassed the factory amp completely. I have also fed the video output to the rear entertainment system so both screens can play the same thing. Factory speakers remain. the kenwood is much cleaner and more powerful, so it actually sounds like the speakers were upgraded. before the radio swap i was considering adding a subwoofer, no need for one now - keep in mind that i have the base 8 speaker radio and not the dolby.

Only issue is the antenna. Factory antennae is integrated in the brain at the rear of the vehicle. I have tried a hidden antennae as well as a window mount, and i'm not impressed with either. The next step will be one of those little euro antennaes that mount on the roof. That or i will take advantage of the satellite or HD functionality.

It does look a bit naked without all the buttons, but the features of this radio make up for it. I think just the USB function alone made this whole thing worthwhile. I'll never have to put another CD in the vehicle again.

Last edited by slowmod; 01-17-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:36 PM

I've read that the radio is actually back where the antenna is.

What did you do about the steering wheel controls?

Thanks for the tip on the display board. There's a company in the UK that's offered to charge me about $900 for a kit to put the AVIC in the XC90, which I would probably go for if it was half that and all inclusive. It seems they used the original wiring and amp.

I'm told that the usb function of the AVIC is lousy, so I'll probably have to score me an old ipod somewhere.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 AM

yes, the radio is under the plastic trim piece on the roof.

I have not done anything with the steering wheel controls. Can't seem to find anything that is compatible with it and honestly i just didn't care for them. The volume was about the only thing that mattered, but it is just as simple to reach up to the radio.

USB on the Kenwood works fine, a bit slow to initially load though. Couldn't tell you on the AVIC, I have a N1 in my mustang, but it does not have a USB port.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 PM

I find that I'm liking the wheel controls. Here in Los Angeles, it can be fatal to look away from the other loonies for even a second. Too bad info about Volvos is so hard to find.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:12 PM

I'm not sure how they would use the factory amp as it is fed via fiber optic from the unit in the rear of the vehicle, so you would not have any inputs to tap into.

they could cut the outputs and feed the Avic amp or aftermarket into the factory wiring which is what i did. The factory wire is of decent gauge so it should not be a problem unless you take the component amp route. Otherwise you would be paying a hefty sum for them to run new wires everywhere. removing the trim panels in this vehicle is no simple task.

As for the remote, with what little control the steering wheel offers a decent installer could disasemble the avic remote and possibly modify it to work with the steering wheel controls. There may be an integration unit available for these now too, or you could just use the avic remote by hand..

Old 03-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy xc90 aftermarket stereo

I'm gettting nervous. I bought an online Pioneer touch screen double din and kenwood poweredsub. All that I've been reading on the net has to do with antenna issues and errors popping up on the dash due to the car not sensing the stock stereo. I've read that the car must be turned off and possible battery cable removed during entire install? Is that it? I would imagine that is protocol for any install. I bought a Pioneer steering wheel controller adapter but I now read it will not work. Should I just return everything?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 PM

read the above posts, i have already addressed all of those issues. this isn't a job for a novice, but if you have a few other installs under your belt then it should be no issue other than time. euro antennae solved the reception issue, and yes.. disconnect the battery. I have already listed all of the power and ground leads, so you should have no need for the battery during the install, you will also find that you are constantly moving from park to drive, which involves the key being in the ignition.

Last edited by slowmod; 03-12-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Default Xc90 touchscreen stereo installed

Well, I printed out all the info I could find and the installer still called and said the airbag warning, and turning signal/ alarm would not work. He must turned the power on before making sure all was hooked up. So what he did is remove the stock amp and installed the existing stereo underneath the passenger seat and ran wires to keep it connected the system. He then installed my Pionner AVIC ZT 110 touchscreen. Everything works fine but the SRS Airbag warning is still on. The dealership will probably have to reset since all wires have been reinstalled. I had the XD tuner installed and had a power antenna installed in the inner portion of the windshield (passenger side). All sounds great but they did break a vent in the back when trying to run wires. The upholstery where the front roof connects to the windshield is not tucked in and I can see loose threads sticking out. You really have to look at the windshield/roof connection to notice. I don't know if I should be picky and make them correct. They charged me 450 to install (also installed a power subwoofer in the sparetire area)

Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 AM

If you gave him the info stating that the original radio needed to remain hooked up and not to turn on the ignition with any of the fiber optics unhooked, then i believe they are the ones that should be paying for the trip to volvo. the reset will run you around $100. This was caused by them leaving the fiber to the factory radio unhooked and likely the hvac controls and or passenger seat airbag connectors unhooked when they turned on the ignition. The alarm and turn signals require the factory unit to be in place to function.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 PM

In order to get speed sensor, reverse, ignition, and steering wheel controls working out of the CAN bus, you need DIETZ parts 61303, 61323, and 61408

I bought these for our 08 XC90, and never got to put it in. It has been tested and does work with a pioneer Head unit.

If anyone needs them, let me know, they weren't easy to get.

Paul

Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM

hi

will the Dietz part 61303, 61323 work on the latest XC90 which I will be collecting soon?

cheers

Old 05-20-2010, 12:11 PM

How big is your kenwood head unit...it it 6.5'' or 7''? I am think about ordering one of the dash kit you bought from the UK but i dont know if the 7'' screen would fit?

Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Default XC90 Double Din Suggestions

The Pioneer I installed is 7" and fits perfectly with the kit from England. But I can't stress the importance to let the installer know not to turn on the power to the vehicle until all wires have been reconnected. If things go wrong, you have the option for them to install the existing stereo inside the foot-wall section of the passenger seat. It will be hidden in back of the ulphostery and you will never know it's there. I recommend the power antenna to be installed at the top of the windshield, inside the car. It sticks with adhesive and you really don't see it. The only issue I have with the Pioneer AVIC ZT 110 is that the microphone sucks. Everyone that I call says they hear alot of background noise. I bought a windcover for it and it doesn't help. There is an option called Echo that cancels echoing from incoming calls but there is no option for background noise. My friend bought the Kenwood 7" and does not have that problem. My other recommendation is know what options you really want. At the time, I only wanted the HD Radio and bought the tuner. Now I wish I would have added a rear dvd screen.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for your post!

Do you know if the trim kit you referred to will fit a 2004 model? And also, was your vehicle equipped with the parking assist? Am looking into replacing the factory unit with a double dim unit (maybe a Pioneer multimedia unit with an upgrade for NAV), and wanted to make sure I could still get the Parktronic to work. Was wondering if as long as I kept the display tucked under the dash like you did if that would keep it enabled.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:41 AM

Hello I read that u tapped into the factory speaker wiring coming off the factory amp correct but when I look at it there are 5 leads coming from the factory amp seems odd to have un even number when i have the 8 speaker system can u help

Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 PM

It will be really nice if someone could make a walkthrough with pictures, so that one could use how to do the installation

Old 06-28-2019, 06:08 AM
Default Radio's

Originally Posted by slowmod
here is the finished product, for those that may be thinking of making the swap. the lip that has to be modified is inside the dash, not visible once the radio is in.
Looks good bro do you know if a bigger screen that will fit??I the biggest one they make kind of like a tesla like a tablet size etc.

Quick Reply: xc90 radio replacement kit - double din