98 V70 - Selling my Car & Trying to Determine Value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 V70 - Selling my Car & Trying to Determine Value?

I'm looking to sell my car (located in Roanoke, Virginia), but I'd like some help determining the value/what I should sell it for. Here's the info:

Volvo V70 1998 wagon, automatic. 219k miles. Gets 28 mpg average combination of city/highway. It has a wear hole in the driver seat (see pic), but otherwise is in great shape. I'm the 2nd owner; my car has either been stored in a garage or been in the South since '98. I've kept it well maintained and repaired.

Other history info:

1) I've owned my car for 6 years, prior to that it was owned by the government in DC but kept in a garage. It wasn't used a ton in the 10 years they owned it. (117,000 miles) Someone hit a deer on the passenger side, busting the light and crunching it up a bit. (You can still see the ripples on the car from that if the sunlight catches it just right, but you'd never notice it if I didn't point it out.) Instead of fixing it, it was sold to a dealer south of Lynchburg, VA. That's where I got it from & have had all my repairs done since then. An honest shop, good work, cheapest around. I'm just sick of driving over an hour to have the simplest repairs done - all the shops around here who take care of Volvos I don't like.

2) I haven't done anything major, but I could pull the service records if anyone is interested in my car. I've dumped thousands into it for smaller repairs just to keep the maintenance up and everything in good repair. I know I repaired the original bars in the tailgate - that was $700. The tailgate wouldn't hold itself up before I fixed it. I got new headlights a couple months back, I've replaced the license plate light on the back a couple times, I've replaced the brakes and tires a number of times. I've got Amsoil in it and Dad just changed the oil. I fixed the passenger door at one point because it wasn't latching right or something. I also vaguely remember fixing a seat belt a good while back. There are a few cosmetic things wrong with it - worn buttons for the windows, minor scratches on the back bumper, etc.

3) Nothing else about the car I can think of right off the bat. I kind of just told you all the history I know of it, without pulling the repair record. Oh, a guy rear-ended me last fall, but just barely tapped me at a light - no damage except scratching the bumper so I didn't get it repaired. I got 2 people to check the car to make sure the bumper was OK internally and structurally. It was fine - both a repair shop and a car insurance adjuster checked it.

Oh, the check engine and service light are both on on the dash - the check engine light is on because my car no longer meets SOME states' EPA guidelines for fuel emissions. This doesn't effect the car in any way, plus it meets Virginia law, and to fix it is like $500. Since it doesn't hurt the car and I meet state law, I don't want to spend $500 to turn a light off. The service light is on because Volvos are pre-programmed to turn on the light every X miles to remind you to change the oil, check fluids, etc. We do this ourselves, but can't turn the light off as only dealers can. I forgot to have it turned off last time I was at the dealer/shop.

Thoughts on what my car is worth? A fair price to sell it for?

Here are pics (I couldn't get them added via the uploader): Volvo V70 1998 Photos by governesscarrie | Photobucket

Old 12-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryGal
Thoughts on what my car is worth? A fair price to sell it for?
You have this backwards. You don't determine the fair price to sell it for, the buyer does.

From your description and at 219,000 miles your car has a lot of deferred (i.e. not done) maintenance and very probably needs a timing belt.

I doubt I would pay more than $500 for it. $1,000 tops. Maybe you can find a sucker who will pay $2,000 but I wouldn't count on it.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by migbro
From your description and at 219,000 miles your car has a lot of deferred (i.e. not done) maintenance and very probably needs a timing belt.
Why do you think it might need a timing belt?

Old 12-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Why do you think it might need a timing belt?
So surprise me and tell me the mileage when the timing belt system was last replaced.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:00 PM

So surprise me and tell me the mileage when the timing belt system was last replaced.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:24 PM

I'd have to check my repair records, to be honest. I don't remember.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 PM

I'd have to check my repair records, to be honest. I don't remember.
OK. That's something a buyer would probably ask. You should check asap because you might find you're still driving around on the original factory timing belt. If it lets go you'll be paying someone to tow your car away not selling it.

If you want to get a sense of what other sellers are asking for similar cars, the best place to go is Craig's List.

I'd list your car for no more than $2,000 and then take whatever you can get from a cash buyer, even if it's significantly less. If you want to sell it this century you should list it for $1,000. The market for 17 year old cars with unfixed mechanical problems is very, very thin.

Last edited by migbro; 12-05-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are getting solid advice from migbro. At a dealer, any dealer, a 200K+ car is always $500 or less, so anything more than that is good for you. The point of the timing belt is very valid, as it is a mileage based maintenance item. If you don't recall when it was last done it is most likely a ticking time bomb and only a buyer unfamiliar with the issue would not inquire about it. If it is due, the cost of doing it would suck most of the value from the car. Are you sure you can't reset the service light yourself? I can in my S60, though you have to find the info on a forum as the owners manual doesn't tell you how. The check engine light, while not an issue to you, will be an issue to most buyers. I would see if a local auto parts store can read the code(s) and give you an idea of what is wrong. Lots of independent shops are capable of reading the codes and making emission repairs for a fraction of what the dealer charges. Resetting the light once the defective part is replaced can be done by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. It certainly is still a nice looking car, so if you are willing to address a couple of issues you may be able to get $1500 for it.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by pkrface
You are getting solid advice from migbro.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I think she wanted someone to tell her her car's worth $5,000. My guess is the timing belt has never been changed and the car's going to the junkyard very soon.