Fishtails on ice and light snow!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishtails on ice and light snow!!!???

I recently purchased a 2001 V70 XC AWD. Previous owner had brand new Michelin Latitude HP tires put on. Two days ago we had some snow and ice on the roads. I noticed the rear end on the Volvo fishtails a lot. Is this normal, my mechanic said it may need four wheel alignment. Not sure if its the tires or something worse.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by dyzio
I recently purchased a 2001 V70 XC AWD. Previous owner had brand new Michelin Latitude HP tires put on. Two days ago we had some snow and ice on the roads. I noticed the rear end on the Volvo fishtails a lot. Is this normal, my mechanic said it may need four wheel alignment. Not sure if its the tires or something worse.

Ice is impossible to drive on safely without special winter tires and I doubt these tires are in that category. See this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/michel...150108111758:s.

I doubt that the rear end breaking loose would be improved by a 4-wheel alignment, but I suppose it can't hurt.

The one thing that might help is to put 200 to 300 lb of weight in the rear by the tailgate.

Does this vehicle have dynamic stability and traction control, i.e., yaw control? This is sometimes abbreviated DSC or DSTC, and is not the same as simple traction control, STC. DSC will definitely help keep the vehicle under control on dry pavement, but I doubt even DSC will allow control on ice unless the tires have traction.

Addition in editing

Was the rear end fishtailing on acceleration or on braking? on a straight road or on a turn?

How many miles on the odometer of this 2001 AWD V70? Is the AWD even functioning? I think the gearing to the rear can wear to the point that there is no power to the rear wheels without any indications in ordinary driving. However, I would not think that this would cause the rear to fishtail under acceleration.

Last edited by JamesG; 01-08-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:01 PM

Thanks,

It has 160k. Its AWD with no traction control. However, I did do some research and the tires I have are Michelin latitude All Season. (please) They suck in any type of winter condition. So I took the chance and other day purchased a set of winter tires with rims from Tire Rack. I hop this will resolve the issue.
As to your other question, yes the rear AWD does work. The Viscous is working well. I did have it checked out by my private Volvo Tech at the time he was replacing my rear differential. Yes, I already had to replace the rear differ. (super mad) but so far so good with the exception of the fishtailing. Will touch base once I put the new tires on, and will keep you posted. Thank you!!