Head gasket or ...??? 2004 V70 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 01:35 PM
MSW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket or ...??? 2004 V70 AWD

Hi all --

First time on the forum, so wanted to say I'm grateful for all the knowledge and expertise to be found here.

I drive a 2004 V70 AWD 2.5T with about 125,000 miles on it. Here's my problem:

The other day, I was driving a winding country road. Every time I hit a sharp turn, my oil pressure light would come on. When I straightened out, it went out and was fine until the next sharp turn.

The first gas station I hit, I checked the oil. Not registering on the dip stick at all (last oil change was several months ago, though don't know why it was dry vs dirty).

Anyway, I put a few quarts in and headed for home. No more oil pressure light, no overheating, nothing. Car was running as normal (though in my paranoid mind it might have seemed a little sluggish).

To be sure, I stopped on the way back home (about a 3 hr drive) to get the oil + filter changed, to be safe (just used a Minit Lube type place). The kid (like 19 yrs old) said I had a "main gasket" leak that would need to be fixed.

I assumed he meant a head gasket, but that didn't make sense to me, because:

A. The coolant is perfectly clear (no oil contamination)
B. The coolant is not leaking (has been at or near the full line since I last filled it, several months ago)
C. The oil was not milky or sludgy, but dry

Then I remembered: About 10 days ago, I started the car in the morning and it produced a ton of white smoke. This went on for a couple of minutes, then went away and has never come back since. Like I said -- no overheating, no coolant loss, no coolant contaimination, car running completely as normal.

Any idea what the heck is going on with this thing?

Thanks in advance to everyone.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He might have meant valve cover gasket. That gasket is higher up on the engine and probably visible from above if you take off the plastic covers. Have a good look all the way around the engine block and you may find that you see the leak. Doesn't sound like you had any symptoms Thus far that lead to a head gasket issue.do yourself a favour though and get the car up on ramps or drive it up on the sidewalk and have a good look underneath. If you see a major traces of oil anywhere best to get to a real mechanic for a looksee