How important is service history

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How important is service history

Hi everyone!

I was hoping to harvest some volvo people's opinions:
I am looking at two V70's and am wondering about reliability.
One 2001 T5 on LPG, with all services done at the dealer
or a 2005 D5, with recent services done, but a gap in the booklet.

Question I have:
1. As I prefer the diesel, is there a way to test the engine for damage? Would a compression test show up any damage done by lack of oil changes?
2. How reliable is the high pressure turbo on the T5? At which point should I expect to have to replace it?
3. What type of things should I expect to replace around the 250k km (155k miles) mark?
4. Assuming the mileage and price are roughly the same, which one would YOU buy?

Anyone reading this, if you can answer even one question of the above I would be super happy!

Thanks a bunch guys, stay healthy!!

Old 09-14-2020, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

My opinions: 1) compression tests will show the fitness of the rings/pistons and valves - no saying if that's due to lack of oil changes. poor oil maintenance may show up elsewhere ie look in the oil fill cap, gunk in the oil filter cap, clogged PCVs (again can be normal usage, not due to bad oil)
2) modern turbos are highly reliable - not uncommon to get 250K or more miles on a T5 turbo unit. You should replace it when it blows a seal and starts leaking or doesn't produce boost. You may be able to pop off the intake air tube and see if there's any noticeable side to side play (google around for some test methods that don't require the turbo to come off). looking at the bright side, if you do wind up needing to rebuild the turbo, a new seal kit goes for about $40, or you can swap out the impeller/compressor wheels to upgrade the air capacity (ie go from a 16T to an 18T). The LPTs use a smaller turbo (ie a 13 or 14 size so again you can upgrade to add capacity - particularly if you add an ECU tune.
3) On the 2001, you may run into issues with the ETM (electronic throttle mechanism), clogged PCV, coil packs (if original) and some of the AWD (ie XCs) had issues with the bevel gear. The timing belt is due at 10 years 120K miles, so it should be on its second belt and probably will need a refresh within a year or two. These cars also have a VVT gear/solenoid on the exhaust cam that can leak or get gunked up. Finally the car is approaching 20 years old, so anything rubber - motor mounts, suspension bushings, front spring seats etc should be inspected for cracks/tears.

As to the D5, its four years newer so some of the age issues are lessened. The ETM and tranny issues should not be worry items but diesels have their own ongoing maintenance considerations.

As you the choice of T5 vs D5, for me its a no brainer going T5. Being in the US, we don't get the advantage of the diesel. it does get better miles to the tankful but at least in the US, the fuel price difference makes that a wash. You get a slower car, pollute the air and will have a harder time finding parts and skilled techs.

The following users liked this post:
Peter Van Meerem (09-14-2020)