Klunks and vibes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Klunks and vibes

'04 v70 2.5t fwd 150k miles
i have klunk at on throttle and off thottle with a slight vibration during acceleration then smothes out. My first thought is cv shafts or lower motor mount.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 AM

Hi.
I have something similar with '01 V70.
I believe it is engine mounts.
The top one is visibly loose, have not investigated the others yet..

Old 06-02-2017, 04:38 PM

ok big guy just got mine back from the shop and found the shafts are good but bolts holding cv shafts were loose (I was told) new one were installed and lock tight applied.
top motor mt was obviously cracked and easy to see also easy to replace. done.
bottom mt I was told is good. now I have no clunks at on/off throttle but I still have slight to medium vibration during acceleration. just put new tires on bfg advantage they ride great we'll see how they hold up. another suspect I thought of is the rotors. being a heavy car for its size I want to try drilled slotted rotors. any opinion/thoughts?

Old 06-03-2017, 02:55 AM

Is it possible the vibration is due to engine tuning rather than mounts.? The coil packs can break down with age. I had an interesting couple of problems when I bought mine which I thought were unrelated. The engine temp took a long time to reach the normal point on the gauge, and in very cold air would begin to drop - with obvious response from the heater. Also the engine would sometimes drop on to 4 cylinders after periods of town running followed by being parked. The diagnostics stated that coil pack "C" was problematic. I figured the thermostat was the cause of the temp problem and imported a new one. When I removed the old one it was stuck partly open - which made it slow to heat - but did not provide proper cooling when hot - so the engine was in fact overheating when town running in hot weather. Replacing the thermostat cured both problems, so it would seem that the centre coil pack was getting too hot. So that was nice..

Old 07-16-2017, 05:19 AM
Default wipers/auto wipers/rear wiper/sunroof

I have an '04 v70 2.5t out of nowhere the sun roof does not work one day then it will. also mid swing the rear wiper decides its time for a break then comes back when I shut off and noticed while its raining the automatic wipers try to keep up with little success. I know about the rain sensor issues but could these issues be related.
had the car for about two months now and have never fell in love with a vehicle this fast in my life. great cruiser!!

Old 07-17-2017, 02:43 AM

For what its worth, my rear wiper is also blessed with a mind of its own. I have to 'time' shutting it off so it parks neatly out of my vision.
My V70 was imported from Singapore to New Zealand before I bought it. I have since been told that many vehicles from Singapore are prone to intermittent problems due to connections in the wiring being subjected to the very hot and humid Singapore climate.
I can vouch for the fact that I do suffer odd electrical problems which can cure themselves as quickly as they appeared.
What climate are you in.?
I suspect that some of my occasional problems may be to do with the multitude of connections beneath the ECU. I have yet to disturb it as it requires a special tool to release which I have not made yet.
At least I know that most of the problems - mostly minor - can behave perfectly much of the time, so nothing needs replacing, just the connection points cleaning and sealing.
Best luck Sir.

Last edited by Kilroy; 07-17-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:55 AM

Kilroy,
nice looking cars my friend.
you guessed it. I'm in sunny, humid, hot , nasty, beautiful, wonderful Florida. It was hot when I bought the car and test drove it and all worked perfect minus the chassis/drive train noises. I'm the type of person that checks all buttons and ***** being an electrician its a habit. wonder if it's possible to have to clean these connections a few times a year or I think I'll research a product like silicone spray to prevent this.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:55 AM

I would use WD40.
It is the world's most underestimated wonder product.
Based on fish oil.
A good coating in any connectors will keep them happy for a respectable time indeed...