New V70 owner - Hello and a couple initial Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New V70 owner - Hello and a couple initial Q's

I need something to put one of my spawn in, and a good friend of mine has a 2010 V70 (P3) with nearly 200K miles they're passing along to me very inexpensively. It's been well-kept, and recently had all the coolant hoses replaced (Nov) as well as the blower motor (last Jan). They're moving on from it because they've inherited a very nice Lexus and don't need it any more.

I'm a moderate wrench - mainly what I call "nuts and bolts" stuff. I take care of as much of the maintenance and repairs on the family cars as I can. I've done a fair bit on BMW's over the years - I have and old E24, and the Volvo is going to replace a 2006 E53 X5 that I've done a fair bit of work on over the years (PCV, the full cooling system from water pump/t-stat to rad and all the hoses, etc.), a full suspension on my Mini Clubman (which seemed like having to turn the car inside out to work on it), the same on the family Mazda3, struts and axles on my wife's Odyssey and brakes/etc. on all of those.

Have to say Volvo does seem to do things a bit differently. I'll be doing front brakes and all of the motor mounts (the top/right one has a split in the bushing, so I'm assuming they're all tired), but going to let the local Swedish shop (Swedish Imports) replace the CV boots. I'm capable of it, but it's a dirty/crappy job I'd much rather leave to the pros.

In any case, looking forward to learning new things. Not seeing a ton of YouTube content on the more-modern Volvos, nor a good Haynes/Bentley manual, which is a little concerning. Any tips/resources appreciated! (I have searched, but finding a lot of dead links or P2 vs. P3 content that I don't know how similar the jobs are). The e-manual popup here seems a bit...sketchy? If anyone can verify they're legit and my info won't wind up on the dark web (), that would be great.

I only have service information back to ~130K miles/6 years, so the most-prominent question I have is about the water pump. I see a fair bit of contrary info out there on interval and not a lot in the way of great DIY vids, but I'm probably missing a good search bridge (seems like Volvo shares a lot across models, but I don't know the ins-and-outs year). After I get the brakes and mounts done (and have the boots done by the shop), the water pump will be my top-next priority. The car had the "water pump coupler" done, along with the t-stat, at 155K about four years ago. Seems odd to do the t-stat and not the water pump. The car also got another t-stat in November along with all the coolant hoses (the lower rad hose was leaking, so I guess they just decided to do all the hoses).

Sorry for the long intro. Brevity is a struggle.