Passenger Front Airbag Working or Not?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Passenger Front Airbag Working or Not?!

Hello Everyone. I have a 2008 V70 and recently it has started showing the red SRS icon on the driver dashboard screen always, and the overhead console "Passenger Airbag is Off 2" is illuminated "occasionally". This happens when someone is sitting in the front passenger seat, and then the overhead alert is lit when it is not occupied. So, my questions are:
  1. Is the front passenger airbag activated or not?
  2. How do I test it at home?
  3. Is there is reset button or procedure? I read you can access the airbag controller from the interior right side circuit panel and use the metal valet key to reset it?
  4. Is this something for a Volvo dealership to repair/reset or a competent garage mechanic can perform equally well?
  5. Are there connectors/pigtails that need releasing, cleaning (w/ spray cleaner) and reconnecting?
  6. What other critical questions I missed and should test or explore?
I appreciate your assistance, in advance, very much.
Be well.

Last edited by Oliai; 12-14-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Have you recently done any electrical work on the car? First thing I'd do is have the car scanned for any stored SRS fault codes (not all scanners do this code set, so you may need to visit a shop or rent a fully featured scanner). Next thing is to check out the wiring connectors under the seat - sometimes they can get kicked etc. Cleaning/reseating the connectors is an option, just make sure to disconnect the battery first or you will set off fault codes for sure. If you do this, check the wiring path to make sure its not being pinched or tugged when the seat gets moved. If the connector seems wonky, you may want to sturdy it up with some electrical tape. Sounds like you have an intermittent connection fault going on so this may do the trick.

Old 12-19-2022, 04:46 PM

@mt6127,
Thank you for your various suggestions, and I will try those that I can at home, before taking it in. I have not done any electrical work on the car, other than replacing a dead battery in July of 2022, about 5 months ago. Since then I have had some issues like the park assist alert/sensors does not work and I cannot get the system to stay on, but attributed it to something else to explore and fix--unless that is also a side effect of this general issue.
Thank you.

Old 12-20-2022, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Given the battery issue, I'd look at reasons why it went flat - ie over 5 years old? Are the cables and terminals in good shape and secure? is there a clean connection for the ground strap? To check your cables - is there any swelling or melted insulation (signs of heat that comes from corrosion/resistance)? Are the terminals clean, properly joined to the cables and fully tighted? Do you have the correct battery type/size installed?

Old 12-22-2022, 10:53 AM

Hello mt6127,
Yes, the battery was about 5+ years old and needed replacement. At the time I did notice a lot of corrosive residue (white powdery stuff) that had surrounded both terminals. I cleaned it completely, used steel wool to remove all oxidation to bare metal, lubricated it and placed the new battery in. I think we may be OK there, but as cars age, like people, quirky things happen that may actually relate to one another! I do appreciate your insights and follow ups very much. Thank you!
Enjoy the holidays in good health.