$~7k repair cost on 2008 XC70. Sell or save?

Old 10-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $~7k repair cost on 2008 XC70. Sell or save?

Hi friends! This is my first post and I am hoping to get some advice regarding my 2008 XC70. I'm young and fairly broke and I have some pretty big decisions to make, but I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to car so I'm trying to make the most informed decisions possible. TL;DR My car needs several critical repairs all at once, and the sticker shock has me considering selling the car.

Background: The car was bought used in 2012 (one previous owner, 75k miles). Since then, the maintenance I can remember having done is as follows: replaced the brakes once in 2014 (had newish brakes when I got it), had one airflow problem that I had repaired (no AC blower I think, but I don't remember exactly), got some bushings underneath the car replaced, a few sets of tires. I've always brought it in for its annual checkup (air filter, stuff like that, etc). It now has 135k, and I was hoping to get at least a few more years out of it.

Current situation: I took my car in to a Volvo dealership yesterday to have the defroster fixed and was informed that there are several critical problems with the car. They quoted all the repairs at $7k, though this number will obviously be lowered if/when I seek out independent shops. I haven't gotten a second opinion yet, though I plan to do so in the morning.

Previously known problems (w/ dealership price quotes):
1) New tires (760; back right leaked and unfixable, currently on the spare)
2) New brakes (1386; rusted and below safety minimum)
3) New CCM (1283; unfortunately I can't hold off on this, as I live in New England the defroster will be necessary starting in about two weeks)

I've been told that brakes parts are inexpensive and fairly easy to self-install. That said, I don't have the tools or space for the job. Hoping to find a place that will do it for substantially less than the quoted amount. I don't know how much cheaper I could get the CCM and tires for elsewhere but, again, I'm getting a second look in the morning.

Unknown problems (w/ dealership price quotes):
1) Critical engine problems (1793). Unfortunately in the diagnostic report they neglected to write up what the specific problem was so pardon my ignorance here. I believe they said that two parts have fused, and that I'm leaking coolant into somewhere coolant should not be. I supposedly need a new aux clutch, engine cover, belt, tensioner, water pump, and coupler. These parts have failed on schedule (they usually replaced at ten years or 125k), but when they checked last year they said they looked fine and told me to do another year on them.
2) Needs trailing arm bushings (781).

Summary/Questions: This is a case of bad luck and bad timing. If the engine parts had been replaced last year and if my CCM hadn't **** out on me, I'd simply have the repairs done and stick with the car. But even with a good independent mechanic getting the 7k pricetag down a bit, I feel that money-wise I ought to consider selling/trading the car. Another layer to the decision is the fact that I'm in my early twenties and life is really in flux right now as I'm transitioning out of college, hoping to move out of living at home, etc.. I don't want to be without a car, but I don't want to blow my savings to keep my baby running if he's just going to suck in money year after year. It's a lose-lose situation. But like I said, I'm trying to make an informed decision.

Q1: Generally speaking and given this forum's userbase's familiarity with XC70s, would selling the wagon for another used car in this situation likely be a net loss or a practical long-term decision? I was really hoping to get another five years out of the car. Obviously another used car could have it's own underlying issues, and perhaps it's better to stay with the devil you know. But if I have to pump $2-3k into this car annually, I don't think that's worth it (month-to-month, some warranty'd leases are cheaper than a 3k annual maintenance cost). For what it's worth, the head honcho at the dealership suggested selling/trading the car.

Q2: How seriously should I take the risk of critical engine failure and/or the bushings blowing out? The car has been driving fine. Should I worry about driving 3mi to work in the coming days while I make a decision about what to do?

Q3: How much would you reckon I can expect to save by going to an independent mechanic?

Q4: How does one even go about selling/trading a car like this that has so many critical issues? Should I still get new tires/brakes just so it will sell? Are the places that will potentially trade for it knowing all it's problems? How honest should I be if trying to sell via Craigslist?

Conclusion: If you've read this far, thank you very much. I'm really overwhelmed, honestly, and any help at all is appreciated. Sorry to bog down the forum with a first post full of questions. Hopefully I'll be able to make some positive contributions of my own in the future.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

1) have the brakes done at a local independent shop using after market parts. Nothing special about the Volvo here. assume 4 hours labor + 300 in parts = $700-800

2) try going used for the CCM. the dealer may even install or look for a Volvo certified/trained indy (where are you located? ) Car-parts.com is a good resource to price out used parts.

3) tires - is TownFair tire near you? AWDs need all the tires to be relatively the same so if you lose one tire and your tread is too worn on the other three, you need to replace all four. Do you have the 16 or 17 inch wheels? A set of 4 of the 16s will probably set you back 600 including install and taxes.

4) Unknown problem in engine- sounds like the water pump and the engine needs its timing belt done. that includes tensioners, belt, optionally pulleys and water pump. The belt needs to come off to do the water pump so its best to do all at once. This can be a 4 hour job plus 200-300 in parts = 700-800. Yes an indy can do this. The VVT timing adds to the labor vs other cars. If the timing belt fails, you bend all the exhaust valves which means a $2500 repair. As to parts fusing together (?!!) no idea what that could be. Leaking coolant can be one of several things - water pump leaking is in above. Other leaks are typically hoses if in the engine bay. sometimes the thermostat housings and overflow reservoirs can leak but not a big ticket item.

5) trailing arm bushings. If the car drives ok and doesn't have bad thumps or scary handling this can probably wait a bit.

As to your question on indy vs dealer - I usually make my decisions based on the complexity of the diagnostics and things that are "local knowledge" to the car. None of your issues are specific to Volvo where the tech would need special tools or access to service bulletins etc. My bet is you can save about 40% on parts and labor vs a dealer - but you'd be getting after market parts. For your jobs, the control arm bushings are probably the one part I'd go OEM or genuine Volvo on, the rest (considering your goal is to keep your care for a couple more years) I'd go after market.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with mt6127 on most of the stuff. As far as tires go, try Tirerack.com. I just bought four new Snow & Ice winter tires for our XC70, and cost us less than $400 including delivery to my local Pep Boys, mounting & balancing, etc.