Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   2001-2013 model year XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/2001-2013-model-year-xc70-53/)
-   -   CEM Removal & CEM Instalation in an 04 XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/2001-2013-model-year-xc70-53/cem-removal-cem-instalation-04-xc70-72693/)

JenniferXC70 08-05-2013 09:23 AM

CEM Removal & CEM Instalation in an 04 XC70

Hello-

I have been put in charge of finding information about the removal of my CEM in my 04 XC70. I cant find any information or instructions on how to properly do this, are there special tools needed ect... Also, will I be able too look at the CEM and know if there are loose connections or burnt wires? Ive been having issues with the car "slamming," interior lights shutting off, srs airbag warnings, left door ajar warnings, brake failure warnings... people keep saying CEM or DIM. Starting with CEM. Since I have already tested the alternator and replaced the battery.

Thank you in advance!

ES6T 08-05-2013 01:21 PM

Are you getting a rebuilt CEM? They are programmed to the car you know. And also, its a pretty expensive guess.

JenniferXC70 08-06-2013 02:26 PM

Yes, I am purchasing a rebuilt CEM from XeMODeX for $550, I am sending them my old one for them to program.
Central Electronic Module (CEM) for Volvo - Xemodex Inc. | Xemodex Inc.

After doing a lot of research on the specific symptoms I've been having a lot of people say CEM, also, pulling fuse #32 (if I remember correctly) and putting it back in, seems to reset everything. (CEM fuse) XeMODeX says that they sell 2-3 CEM's a day for XC70's. Honestly I have been driving the car for two years not knowing if/when its going to act up. I bought it because it was supposed to be safe. Now I can't drive it for long distances, and forget about driving it when its over 80 degrees. (can you tell I'm furious with my car?) So I figure its a pretty educated guess and Ill take the risk for $550.

JenniferXC70 08-06-2013 04:20 PM

OK, CEM is out. We took a hair dryer to heat it up and see if we could make the problem happen. It did! Boxing it up and shipping it out tomorrow.

MoneypitC70 08-20-2013 10:26 PM

Please post a procedure and a result from the new unit. I have similar symtpoms in my car

Volvo Woes 05-24-2021 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by JenniferXC70 (Post 361704)
OK, CEM is out. We took a hair dryer to heat it up and see if we could make the problem happen. It did! Boxing it up and shipping it out tomorrow.

Hi Jennifer,

What happened after this, did it work??

Kevin Whitton 03-26-2022 12:26 PM

I sent my CEM (2005 S40) to Xemodex, they said it was ok but suggested I get a new refurbished/reprogrammed one for $600 so I did. The new one wasn't in as good a shape as the one I sent in and they didn't supply the 2 very important screws to reinstall it (mine had them but they didn't move them over). Anyway, I reinstalled it to test it out - no difference. More wasted $$. I emailed them a few times about the screws and other questions. Never any answer about the screws. I submitted a warranty application. It's still ongoing. They want a Volvo computerized vida test done but the car is immobile and I'm not about to have it towed to Volvo because the dealership caused me a small fortune already and ripped me off, I'm sure. This probably doesn't help you but I felt people show know

erickmitchell44 10-25-2022 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Whitton (Post 509772)
I sent my CEM (2005 S40) to Xemodex, they said it was ok but suggested I get a new refurbished/reprogrammed one for $600 so I did. The new one wasn't in as good a shape as the one I sent in and they didn't supply the 2 very important screws to reinstall it (mine had them but they didn't move them over). Anyway, I reinstalled it to test it out - no difference. More wasted $$. I emailed them a few times about the screws and other questions. Never any answer about the screws. I submitted a warranty application. It's still ongoing. They want a Volvo computerized vida test done but the car is immobile and I'm not about to have it towed to Volvo because the dealership caused me a small fortune already and ripped me off, I'm sure. This probably doesn't help you but I felt people show know

After reading the suggestions on this forum, I have tried replacing fuses before going the expensive way of replacing the CEM. Turned out a 10 amp fuse located in the driver compartment (position 27) fixed the issue. After replacing that fuse everything started working correctly again.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...ae75e96e15.png