I messed up my timing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2024, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I messed up my timing?

Hello all!
I need and would appreciate some advice on a possible screw up.
Just finished PCV service, and replaced the rear exhaust cam seal on my 04 xc70. On the first start up, the engine wasn't sounding good (rattling), so I shut it down rather soon. Double checked for any missed harness connectors, but all looked good.
I didn't use any special tools to hold the cams in place when replacing the seal. The bolt that held the trigger/reluctor wheel?? came off with out much pressure so I thought nothing moved much...🤢
Is there a recommended adjustment or fix, or will I be doing a correct timing belt job?
Maybe it is something else. I didn't drop anything in to bad areas that I know of.
Thanks for any input on this.
Steve

Old 09-24-2024, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

did you get a CEL saying the cam position sensor is not reporting correctly? Assuming you didn't touch the cam gear/timing belt your cam timing should be correct but you can check via the timing marks (google/youtube for where the cam marks are on the inside cover) so I'd be looking for something else - intake air leaks come to mine. You may need to check the oil separator seals (stuff like a folded gasket can happen) and then see if the MAF sensor and intake tubes need cleaning. Pretty sure the engine's ignition timing is driven off the crank position sensor and the cam sensor's signal may influence fuel trim - not sure how much and when.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for the reply!
I ordered a cam locking tool, which arrived today and didn't cost much. Cheaper than a damaged engine, and may need again.
I will use my Blue Driver this weekend to see if any codes are present, I didn't see a check engine light on. Not sure it ran long enough to register any issues. Won't fire up again until investigating a bit more.
Yes, next step is to double check sensor connections and get a look at the timing marks. Also will locate the crank position sensor like you said. I don't remember seeing it, was focused on the pcv job. I watched a couple of videos on the timing procedure, and how to use the cam lock tool.
Driving the old truck this week, will have a look at the Volvo asap, and get back with any findings. Glad to have the suggestions!
Steve