Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   2001-2013 model year XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/2001-2013-model-year-xc70-53/)
-   -   My 2003 XC70 Maintain Experience (https://volvoforums.com/forum/2001-2013-model-year-xc70-53/my-2003-xc70-maintain-experience-81302/)

MYXC70 11-26-2014 03:19 PM

My 2003 XC70 Maintain Experience

I have spent $11,000 both repairing and servicing an always garaged 2003 Volvo XC70 turbo since 2011 when it then had 69,000 miles on it, wherein it is long out of factory warranty, and now it has only 84,000 miles. If I put $2,000 to $3,000 in it per year, then can last indefinitely perhaps ... unless starts to rust as vehicle is NYC area located but yet garaged.

The servicing items done:

four brakes, including new pads and new rotors
oil and filter changes & usual fluids
new fuel filter
new air filter
new drive belt
new tires w/balance and 4 wheel alignment
new headlight bulbs [always in bad alignment, never an accident]
new wiper blades
new cabin air filter
new timing belt, tensioner & water pump [not yet, shop says in 15,000+ more miles]
new shocks & struts [not yet, but soon, this is rough NYC taxi road country]
new battery

The defects that were repaired at my cost:

new ABS control module
new ABS sensor
new vacuum lines
new alarm sensor
new brake booster motor
new exhaust hanger
new hazard flasher switch
new turn signal stalk
new control arm bushing
new right front strut
new top engine mount [all others cracked but not yet repaired]
moon roof manual slide panel
new fuel pump [Volvo defect repair paid by Volvo]

A no money down leasing a brand new top of the line Platinum model XC70 turbo every three years would cost about $700@mo incl tax, but will have a new vehicle every three years with latest technology and no cost maintenance. A lowest end XC70 model about $125@mo. less.

rjb44 12-05-2014 08:01 PM

What did it cost you to replace the top motor mount?

tony1963 01-01-2015 04:27 AM

And your point is what? Just because you paid way too much to have your car serviced is your fault not Volvo.

Someone got rich servicing your car.

MYXC70 01-09-2015 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by tony1963 (Post 403256)
And your point is what? Just because you paid way too much to have your car serviced is your fault not Volvo.

Someone got rich servicing your car.

Such costs are a function of parts and labor here in Manhattan, New York City. Go to RepairPal and you will see the costs for parts and labor are inline with what is charged anywhere in this location. The current shop I use specializes in Volvo, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, and Honda, and also does full auto restorations. Manhattan Volvo, that also sold Jaguar, Land Rover, and all Ford products, recently closed wherein there is no dealer in Manhattan currently selling or servicing these vehicles, and that dealer was charging $175@hr. labor, and was billing sometimes more than the Volvo book suggested labor time. It was Ford that took their dealer license away.

Just to garage my vehicle in Manhattan costs $500@month.

The bottom line is that as vehicles get far more automated and computerized, with excess safety and entertainment gizmos, once they fall out of warranty, the costs to repair -- that need be done only at shops with the proper skill level and equipment -- can be very expensive. Meaning that keeping a vehicle ONLY during its warranty period may be the answer, wherein Hyundai/Kia offers the longest all-in warranty.

MYXC70 01-09-2015 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by rjb44 (Post 401551)
What did it cost you to replace the top motor mount?

The top motor mount cost about $250 dollars, parts and labor, then at the now CLOSED Manhattan, New York City Volvo dealer ... Ford took their dealer license away. Now use a specialty shop that tells me what NOT to repair, e.g., do NOT need a new timing belt for at least another 25,000 miles, as opposed to the typical dealer always finding things to repair regardless of no need to.

Hylton 01-09-2015 10:08 AM

I see about 4K worth of work there (parts and labor) tops. I guess if you can afford to live in Manhattan, you can afford to pay a premium for work on your vehicle.

ES6T 01-09-2015 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by MYXC70 (Post 403861)
Now use a specialty shop that tells me what NOT to repair, e.g., do NOT need a new timing belt for at least another 25,000 miles, as opposed to the typical dealer always finding things to repair regardless of no need to.

Any shop can tell you what you want to hear so that you're happy. But, it's wrong.

The belt should be done now because there is a time interval (10 years) as well, not just mileage. Are they going to repair the head for free if the idler or tensioner fails because they told you what you wanted to hear as opposed to what is correct?

MYXC70 01-10-2015 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 403869)
Any shop can tell you what you want to hear so that you're happy. But, it's wrong.

The belt should be done now because there is a time interval (10 years) as well, not just mileage. Are they going to repair the head for free if the idler or tensioner fails because they told you what you wanted to hear as opposed to what is correct?

Here is the cost in my area, here all-in and as may as well replace the water pump too.

Timing Belt Replacement (2.5L 5 Cylinder Turbo) for your 2003 Volvo XC70 near zip code 10021

RepairPrice Estimate
$605 to $944 TOTAL PARTS & LABOR

How much should I pay?
Estimate includes:

Labor
$327-$417

Parts (excludes tax & fees)
$278-$527

Parts Included:

Timing Belt
Tensioner
Coolant
2 Hose Clamps
Water Pump
Water Pump Gasket

ES6T 01-10-2015 07:33 AM

Timing belt kit is around $220. Water pump around $190. Serpentine belt around $80. Labor 3.5 hours.

Those are dealer parts prices, aftermarket would be less.

MYXC70 08-21-2015 01:15 PM

Since below message wherein I had spent $11,000, have spent for a new timing belt & water pump, and now $3,500 for parts and install both sides of:

front lower control arms
front shocks
rear struts
lower control arms
ball joints
stab links
usual oil & filter change

So far has cost me, here in NYC, in total approx. $17,000 and have only 90k original miles, wherein I have budgeted $3,000+@yr to keep the vehicle operative.

Originally Posted by MYXC70 (Post 400956)
I have spent $11,000 both repairing and servicing an always garaged 2003 Volvo XC70 turbo since 2011 when it then had 69,000 miles on it, wherein it is long out of factory warranty, and now it has only 84,000 miles. If I put $2,000 to $3,000 in it per year, then can last indefinitely perhaps ... unless starts to rust as vehicle is NYC area located but yet garaged.

The servicing items done:

four brakes, including new pads and new rotors
oil and filter changes & usual fluids
new fuel filter
new air filter
new drive belt
new tires w/balance and 4 wheel alignment
new headlight bulbs [always in bad alignment, never an accident]
new wiper blades
new cabin air filter
new timing belt, tensioner & water pump [not yet, shop says in 15,000+ more miles]
new shocks & struts [not yet, but soon, this is rough NYC taxi road country]
new battery

The defects that were repaired at my cost:

new ABS control module
new ABS sensor
new vacuum lines
new alarm sensor
new brake booster motor
new exhaust hanger
new hazard flasher switch
new turn signal stalk
new control arm bushing
new right front strut
new top engine mount [all others cracked but not yet repaired]
moon roof manual slide panel
new fuel pump [Volvo defect repair paid by Volvo]

A no money down leasing a brand new top of the line Platinum model XC70 turbo every three years would cost about $700@mo incl tax, but will have a new vehicle every three years with latest technology and no cost maintenance. A lowest end XC70 model about $125@mo. less.

Thang Vora 11-24-2017 09:47 PM

Live in NYC and have the garage to park the car; The way you say I can see you're the person as "The money is no object", get on the car and drive then pay some body take care of it, the dealer love those peoples like you. But I would put in my two cent: Budget $3000/Yr to keep the car run for long long time, let's say 20 because no material thing last for ever, and $8400/Yr to leased the top of the line new car, if you time up those two options for 20 years, you see a very big difference. Now you aid bottom line car cost $125/Mth = $1500/Yr, but you don't want to drive bottom line car and in my two cent you don't need top of the line car, but your budget $3000/Yr still give you head ache when you have to put the car in the shop, so $3000/Yr add some more$$$ in to bring up to upper middle of the line cars that will give you enough options to keep you comfortable to drive the new car every three years for EVER, save half the money for top of the line,. If you don't need that money you can give to some charities.

Thang Vora 12-10-2017 01:06 PM

Tony1963! I see you're senor member in this forum, I thought you should help other member with what you know, But turn out you are a JERK! I don't see you help any body in any replies you post, all I see is you just criticized or put down other members, you should remove yourself from this forum.

tony1963 01-06-2018 01:49 PM

Just because you disagree doesn't mean that I will leave the forum. This individual paid way too much for these repairs. The better solution would have been to come here for advice, then he could have cut his expense by 80%.

I've sold and serviced Volvos for about 20 years and each of the repairs he mentions is typical over the life of the vehicle.

Why he spent $11k is his choice.