Oil on spark plugs/ignition coils and possible alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on spark plugs/ignition coils and possible alternator

2001 xc70 248k all highway miles- my 2001 xc70 during a spark plug replacement recently had it in them and there was oil on the ignition coils. I do not recall ever replacing the coils - could the oil be getting in because of bad coils? I have gotten codes in the past abut some misfiring but it would go away. I think the oil in the spark plugs is what is causing ccassional hesitation when driving after the car is warmed up. Not sure what the cause is.

Today, I got a message that said low battery voltage. My battery was replaced 1/15. It wouldn't start and just clicked. When jumped, we had the leave the cables there for 15-20 minutes for it to even turn over and start and after parking it, it would not start up again when I decided to move from garage upside facing a direction appropriate for towing if necessary. Guess it's necessary now. Did the same cable thing, it started up and I moved it. I think it's the alternator, given its age and mileage. Or cup dit just be the voltage regulator. This has never happened enforce either.

My 14 year old lab loves this car because she fits! I love this car. Any advice would be really helpful to give my mechanic after I have it towed. I order parts from ipd.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st; The oil on ignition coils, check the breather hose came up from crank case beside the oil filler, se if it cracked, and do the breather system test: Open the oil filler cap, put a rubber glove over the filler, start the engine, if the glove inflated, your breather system is clogged up, your oil leaking out expecialy the coil near the hose.
2nd; How long have you replce the alternator? The way you said, sound like the alternator didn't charge.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

As for the oil on the coil packs, that is most likely caused by the seal on the oil cap getting hard and not sealing. Forget the bag test since you can pull the dipstick with the car idling and tell if there is crankcase pressure.

If you see smoke venting from the dipstick hole, then you probably need the oil trap replaced. If not, just replace your oil cap seal.

For the alternator, it probably is on its way out but check the voltage at the battery with it running. If it is not at least 13.5 volts, then it is not charging properly. Check this after you get the battery fully charged.

Gloves? LOL

Old 01-26-2018, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

another cause for oil on the head is a clogged PCV system. that will blow oil past the filler seal and may displace the tubing that runs along side it as well.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:51 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, I provided that information in my post:

Forget the bag test since you can pull the dipstick with the car idling and tell if there is crankcase pressure.

If you see smoke venting from the dipstick hole, then you probably need the oil trap replaced. If not, just replace your oil cap seal.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. Will make sure to have these items checked. New battery,new alternator in place. All appears to be going well.