Volvo Software Bricked CEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Volvo Software Bricked CEM

Hi guys! Having a bit of a problem with my '02 XC70 2.4T. I got onto VIDA online to download a software file for a used SRS I got. Vida Dice clone didn't work. Went on VDASH and purchased new hdw ID and behold, my dice worked with VIDA online. While searching for the software I came across some updates for my car, one was for the CEM. I paid and downloaded and started the process of flashing. VIDA had me turn ignition off and go into 07 programming mode. So I got a 12v power adapter and hooked it into dice unit, hooked up a battery charger and proceeded. My laptop decided to power off during the flashing and now the CEM won't power up.

I tried the process again and nothing! I even tried to download full software from Volvo and still the same thing. I've used the advanced reset button in VIDA. It takes a few minutes but it's like the CEM powers up (center dome light illuminates, relays on CEM clicking) but still no comms or software flash uploads. Also in advanced mode it says the CEM is available for programming, however the ECM is not.

I've tried everything I possibly know how and the car is still in the same condition. Am I screwed?! Will I have to buy a whole new programmed unit from Volvo? Is the flash in the chip actually still intact or is it corrupted?

ANY help is appreciated!!!

Old 04-10-2021, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The software didn't cause this, your laptop did. You might try contacting xemodex.com to see if they can help.

The following users liked this post:
Aaron Pulliam (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 04:38 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by ES6T
The software didn't cause this, your laptop did. You might try contacting xemodex.com to see if they can help.
No, the software didn’t, however it can. So essentially the CEM and ECU were in sleep mode. I found a document on volvotechinfo site that gives a procedure for getting any module in the car into programming mode. I followed the directive and everything is good now. All the software has been updated and I also got a used SRS from an S60 coded in.

The Volvo document is TJ 27236.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Pulliam
No, the software didn’t, however it can. So essentially the CEM and ECU were in sleep mode. I found a document on volvotechinfo site that gives a procedure for getting any module in the car into programming mode. I followed the directive and everything is good now. All the software has been updated and I also got a used SRS from an S60 coded in.

The Volvo document is TJ 27236.
The document is for CAN module recovery method for failed software download. A laptop going to sleep or powering down in the middle of programming would cause a failure to download software.

Glad that you found the document and got things working.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:09 AM
Default Vdash procedure to get DICE working again

Hi Aaron, thanks for the info. I have a problem with getting vida to work with my dice clone too, but you mentioned you managed to fix it by doing something with the hw id in vdash. I can’t find the option, however. Could you provide more detail as to how that’s done?

Old 04-13-2021, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by vklause
Hi Aaron, thanks for the info. I have a problem with getting vida to work with my dice clone too, but you mentioned you managed to fix it by doing something with the hw id in vdash. I can’t find the option, however. Could you provide more detail as to how that’s done?
It’s on the front page of the program. I believe it’s under “dongle” if I remember correctly.Cost is $22. I don’t have my laptop and I’m out of town until Thursday.

Last edited by Aaron Pulliam; 04-13-2021 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Add context
Old 10-22-2021, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ssicarman
The document is for CAN module recovery method for failed software download. A laptop going to sleep or powering down in the middle of programming would cause a failure to download software.

Glad that you found the document and got things working.
Try thisOpen Vida go to connection section try to read the car. It will ask you for VIN. Enter the vin. After select connect. Go to software section and buy CEM reload.