Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   2001-2013 model year XC70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/2001-2013-model-year-xc70-53/)
-   -   Would you buy a 2008 xc70 with 134k miles? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/2001-2013-model-year-xc70-53/would-you-buy-2008-xc70-134k-miles-68187/)

carpoolsleeper1 01-04-2013 09:07 PM

Would you buy a 2008 xc70 with 134k miles?

I am shopping for a new carpool car for my wife and kids. We literally walked away from a 2008 v70xc with 134k on the odo for 13.9k. The business agent gave us the hard sell of "we should get an extended warranty" for a few thousand due to the high mileage of the car and my wife freaked and walked out of the dealership. Anyone have experience with the 08's? Were we smart for walking out or were we silly for letting the high miles deter us? This would be our third v70xc in the family over the years! Our 01' recently blew a transmission.

What would you do?

rspi 01-05-2013 01:23 AM

It's hard to buy a car from a jackass. Sales people get a commission on warranty sales. Likely was just trying to make a few extra bucks.

You already know what those kind of miles does to a Volvo. If the car was properly cared for the mileage on the motor is no big deal. That's about 30,000 per year, I have done more than that but I take real good condition of my car. If it has maintenance records I would buy it if the price was right. I use www.NADAGuides.com for my pricing.

phil.crawford1 01-10-2013 08:30 AM

Never Be Pressured to Buy From a Car Salesman

I agree w. RSPI's comments. I have a 2005 & 03 XC70 AWD wagons; both with 128K & 131K miles. Having owned Volvo s/wagons since 1980, the mileage isn't a factor, as these vehicles go 300K plus. I did my research & found, via volvo forums, what are the most inherent mechanical/electrical/fuel problems encountered, per model & per year. I've experienced two of the most common issues. The 2003 instrument cluster faulty circuit board & 2005 ignition switch assembly-key fails to turn due to internal piece breaking off & blocking switch. If the car was dealer maintained & the service records are accessible (done under warranty), I'd request a copy & review the repairs/maintenance thoroughly. You're better off to shop around for extended warranties. As a 2008 model (1st year of new body style), it probably near the extent of the 5 year manufacturer's warranty. The higher mileage compiled is a tool for negotiating a lower sales price. Dealers typically have a $5K range markup. Do your homework & check comparable vehicles via the mentioned sites. PC

Thang Vora 01-05-2019 04:17 PM

134Kmls is not an objection , but $13,9K is tooo high price, I found on "Cargurus" the 08 with over 100K mls ran from $6K- $10K, the o8 is 1st MY with new body and offer with 6cyl. engine; Volvo sheet metal last very long without rust, I don't know aboutT6 engine but old T5 is almost bullet proof; Here come to the suspension components, these do not base on the MY but should base on the Mileage, even older cars with lower mileage the suspension bushings still stronger and more solid than the newr MY car with Higher Mileage, if you want to buy over 100Kmiles, check the suspensions, if they still good but will won out in a short time

Sandycove 02-10-2019 06:41 AM

Carfax

[QUOTE=Thang Vora;469092]134Kmls is not an objection , but $13,9K is tooo high price, I found on "Cargurus" the 08 with over 100K mls ran from $6K- $10K, the o8 is 1st MY with new body and offer with 6cyl. engine; Volvo sheet metal last very long without rust, I don't know aboutT6 engine but old T5 is almost bullet proof; Here come to the suspension components, these do not base on the MY but should base on the Mileage, even older cars with lower mileage the suspension bushings still stronger and more solid than the newr MY car with Higher Mileage, if you want to buy over 100Kmiles, check the suspensions, if they still good but will won out in a short time[/QUOTE

when I look for a used car I find most dealers will have a car fax to history on maintance, how many owners etc.
you can always get the vin # and purchase a car fax if the dealer does not go that route. I think it is a great selling point for the dealer and the buyer
13k for a 08 with that mileage is extremely high.
keep shopping around but not there