xc 70 limp mode problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 05:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xc 70 limp mode problem

Hello to everyone .

My first post ,so hope i get it right , apologies if not

I have been reading many posts on the forum lately as i have a problem that is becoming a real headache so hoping that someone may have a solution to help me sort it out .
It is a bit long winded so i will try and make it as concise as possible .
Had the car xc 70 2004 diesel , 112,000 miles ,[ 163 ] for two years , [ well maintained ].
Items noted on last service report from local garage

CODES FROM GARAGE

4405 EGR VALVE FLOW TOO LOW
6805 BOOST PRESSURE CONTROL HAS FAULTY FLOW
2503 FUEL PRESSURE / TOO LOW
NOTED THAT THERE COULD BE FAULTY FUEL INJECTORS , OR FUEL RAIL .

Had been driving the car about ten months since the last service .
Car started to go in to limp mode about three months ago , will only rev to 2500 and then limp mode URGENT SERVICE REQUIRED APPEARS .
Garage stripped / cleaned the egr valve ,, car ran fine for about three weeks then it started again.
Back to garage for diagnostic again , code 6805 again, they checked a few other things vacum tubes etc , suggested new boost control valve ,replaced that still no change . I decided to take car to Volvo dealers for diagnostic with the hope that they would find something that my other garage was missing , they wanted to put in new turbo at cost of £ 2,000 , car is only worth that , told him that i thought turbo was not the problem . The service manager suggested that the interior of the turbo could be sticking due to carbon build up etc , i looked on you tube at this procedure and it looked a possibility . Took car back to local garage to have turbo removed and cleaned , mechanic said it was a little bit sticky but not bad ,cleaned replaced .
Car ran fine for five days then it started again . this has cost me about £ 600 so far and still cannot accelerate , lucky the speed limit in Jersey C I is 40 MPH so i can still use the car . i cannot keep throwing money at this , so if anyone has any suggestions which way i should proceed with this i would be very grateful .
I have tried to remember everything that might be relative but as this has been going on for a while i might have forgotten something, so happy to try and answer any questions , Many thanks .

Old 11-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Diesel dog days

Sometimes the relevant sensors need to be renewed along with correcting the associated mechanical replacements.

I wonder if there's is an accumulation of residue int he passages to/from the EGR?

I wonder if you have a vacuum tubing failure, but I don't recall how the Diesels use vacuum.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Alberrtj

I Albert thanks for your reply .
I appear to have solved the problem , if you look at youtube i had been in contact with a guy who posts there re volvo s , he is called Sirrob ?my update there gives the details of what has happened to the car since my post here .
But quickly for anyone else i was advised to change the fuel filter which seems to have been the problem , but i also cleaned the sensor on the air intake so not exactly sure which one was the culprit ? .

Old 11-13-2016, 06:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might have been both -- point is, it is repaired.