All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

760/940 Turbo none start

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 760/940 Turbo none start

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif">My dad has a 1990 760 turbo (B230FT) which doesn't allways start. It will always turn over but not alwaysfire. I check forthe fuel pump running and voltage at the coil and injectors when the fault was on and nothing! Then switch the ignition off and on again and voltage came back, fuel pump ran and it fired up. I keept my DMM on the coil when he turned the ignition off (after it had ran) the coil was still supplied with battery voltage for 10 seconds or so. I check this a few times, but the time the coil was supplied with voltage after the ignition was switched off varied from time to time. I suspected the <FONT color=red>main ignitionrelay</FONT> on the N/S strut (next to the AC relay)was sticking. No such luck. I followed the wiring diagram back to the relay that supplies the feed to the <FONT color=red>main relay, <FONT color=black>the</FONT> <FONT color=green>green</FONT> <FONT color=black>one behind the ash tray labled "<FONT color=green>B</FONT>" i think. No luck. I think this "<FONT color=green>B</FONT>" relay also supplies the fuel pump too. Sometimes when it won't start it threttens to fire but does'nt quite catch. I know this is something and nothing but the fault wont stay on for long enough for me to get tot he bottom of it. Any ideas more than welcome!</FONT></FONT></FONT>

Old 08-23-2003, 01:11 AM

You should check the impulse sensor under the hood. It is located on the firewall, and goes to the bellhousing on tranny. If it has a yellow stripe on the sensor I would strongly believe that it would be the culprit.

Old 10-24-2003, 09:56 PM

Glenn</P>

</P>

Mine had a intermittant no start problem and it turned out to be the ignition module inside the distributer. It was soaked in oil and the wires that come out of the pick up coil had cracked insulation and were shorting out. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and used silicone sealer to seal and insulate the wires. It worked fine for about 4 years and cracked and shorted again. This time I got a new distribuator. The oil came from the valve cover AND a bad "O" ring seal inside the distributer shaft.</P>

check that out and see if it is oil soaked!</P>

Bill C</P>