All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

'72 145s - Lower control arm shaft removal/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '72 145s - Lower control arm shaft removal/replacement

I'm doing a full suspension/unsprung overhaul (bearings, bushings, ball joints, shocks, springs, brakes) and have run into what seems to be a major problem as well as a mystery. The lower control arm shafts (pivots) appear to be frozen in their bores, and cannot be moved by any of the means of persuasion at my disposal. The nuts on the shafts and their associated washers came off with no difficulty, but no amount of pushing, pulling, torquing, impacting, heating (caveat - I only have a propane torch; not very hot), or soaking with copious amounts of penetrating fluid has made either left or right shaft budge from their place. The lower control arms swing very stiffly through their full range; not at all free-moving, but not frozen to the shaft.

The mystery (and possibly part of the explanation) is that the shafts appear to be incorrect parts. Where VP's catalogue, the factory service manual, and every parts diagram I've seen agree that these shafts (p.n. 943659) require a cup washer (p.n. 667791) between the bolt's head and the rubber spacer (p.n. 683263), the bolts on my car have integral cup washers in the form of an enlarged and curved flange. Additionally, the shafts on my car are metric (22mm head and M14x1.5 thread) instead of SAE/Imperial. I've not been able to find any parts diagram for any contemporary Volvo showing a shaft like this one. I'm genuinely curious where they came from?

Head end of lower control arm shaft, showing integral cup washer/flangeIMG_2193.jpeg (38.61 KiB)

Head end of lower control arm shaft, showing integral cup washer/flangeIMG_2198.jpeg (41.73 KiB)

But the real issue is extracting them. Does anybody have any advice for getting these moving? I'm concerned that if they cannot be moved, the only solution will be to replace the entire front crossmember. Is there some remedy between sliding them out as the manufacturer intended and replacing the crossmember? And if replacing the crossmember is the solution, does anybody have an idea where I can find one from a 140 (1971 or later)?

Thanks for any and all help!

Chris