All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

Help! I wrote a book about Volvo but Volvo is upset with me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I wrote a book about Volvo but Volvo is upset with me!

Help can anyone explain how Volvo Trucks Corporate thinks? I wrote a book about a Volvo truck and simply they got mad at me ? Tell me how to talk to them and convince them that I am no harm? I deeply appreciate any help!

Old 01-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

As you wrote your book, did you research trade mark and service mark laws? In short, Volvo Corp owns the Volvo name along with any of their marked products and services. You need their permission to include in your book. Also, most large corporations offer a "media kit" on their web sites which state proper use of logo's, marks etc down to the size, shape and color schemes. I'd probably start by looking for that and some PR contacts to see how you can gain their approval for use of their marks.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:16 PM

Dear friend
I did some research, I red about copyright so I go ahead and asked for permission thorough the picture gallery section of the Volvo Global page .I didn’t see any part for the media. I am not sure if I should contact the Volvo Global page or the Volvo of North America. I am new to this and I didn’t know about media kits and stuff. I have all the emails that I have the encounter with Volvo Trucks if you want to see it let me know. Now I feel a little discouraged because my experience with them was unpleasant. So what I really should do? I really love Volvo FHs too much . I gonna try to look for the media kit like you said .

Old 02-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to VF VolvoFH16

I think you might need to be a bit more specific like they are taking legal action against you and why or ... Saying Volvo is mad at you just doesn't tell me much.
I would also doubt someone on a chat forum is really well versed on how Volvo Corporate Office thinks or how it's public affairs or marketing department might react to a book (you don't mention the title).
If you used their trademark or trademarked material it should be a no brainier they would be mad.

Old 02-02-2020, 04:50 PM
Default Dear friend

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Welcome to VF VolvoFH16

I think you might need to be a bit more specific like they are taking legal action against you and why or ... Saying Volvo is mad at you just doesn't tell me much.
I would also doubt someone on a chat forum is really well versed on how Volvo Corporate Office thinks or how it's public affairs or marketing department might react to a book (you don't mention the title).
If you used their trademark or trademarked material it should be a no brainier they would be mad.

I asked them for the permission in advance , but I didn’t showed the , just the Volvo from the book , they were impressed at first then later they got upset about and asked me to remove the Volvo and the product name. Yes I need someone’s who understands yes indeed, could at Volvo dealer sales person could have a hint about how Volvo Corporate Office think ? I thought about this chat room since this place is for Volvo enthusiasts like me who likes to know Volvo. For God Heavens no Volvo is not taking no actions towards me , but they just playing hard to get.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

you are talking to a corporation, not to an individual. The proper approach would be to have your publisher - ie those who are going to get your book in stores etc to work that issue for you, I'm sure that's part of their day job. As an individual author, there's nothing in this relationship for Volvo the corporation so as you've experienced, you don't even show up on their radar. I've been working in and with product marketing people for 30+ years and the one thing I can tell you that's on the top of their to do list is "protect the brand". Take two giants like ATT and Verizon - If ATT makes a claim about their products or services, you can be sure Verizon is validating and will put their lawyers to work if its not true and puts them in a less favorable position to their audience. So if you have no street cred and no corporate affiliation you have no game here.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
you are talking to a corporation, not to an individual. The proper approach would be to have your publisher - ie those who are going to get your book in stores etc to work that issue for you, I'm sure that's part of their day job. As an individual author, there's nothing in this relationship for Volvo the corporation so as you've experienced, you don't even show up on their radar. I've been working in and with product marketing people for 30+ years and the one thing I can tell you that's on the top of their to do list is "protect the brand". Take two giants like ATT and Verizon - If ATT makes a claim about their products or services, you can be sure Verizon is validating and will put their lawyers to work if its not true and puts them in a less favorable position to their audience. So if you have no street cred and no corporate affiliation you have no game here.
Wow, that quite scary tho for a first time writer like me , but I am not quitting I will find a way even if I have to make my story famous with a blank Volvo (a Volvo without the brand) . Anyway Scania was incredibly amazing friendly and they said YES! But I love both , is not fare if I delete Volvo completely and let Scania get all the Glory. The book is about similar to Transformers except it has no violence, it will educate drivers . It has an collections of road stories experienced by me my Volvo FH .Thank you so much for your reply. Anyway Volvo said just to take away the emblem and brand , I believe there’s nothing wrong with a truck without its brand. God bless us Volvo enthusiasts and other enthusiasts too.