All Other Volvo's Discuss the many other past Volvo models not listed above within.

Time to restore my 1970 164

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to restore my 1970 164

Hello everyone a new forum member from Brisbane, Queensland , Australia.
I have a project that has been sitting in a paddock with a couple of Audi's for approximately two years. I saw it the other day and felt guilty that it is slowly rusting away when I used to love driving them. In my past I have owned five 164's and about a dozen 144/142. Always bought them cheap, made them roadworthy then drove them. Some were sold some were wrecked, only because something more interesting came along.

Anyway got into Audi's and have progressed from 100 CD's to turbo 200's, prices for S models are still to high for me. But I still like the 164. The other thing is that apart from the motor being seized and needing a complete rebuild I have heaps of spares, lights brakes etc.

What I need is some encouragement to move it and at least get the motor out. Have thought about putting a Lexus V8 in it but with fuel prices the way they are the old twin carb might be a lot easier.

Hope to hear from some enthusiastic 164 owners.

Tom[8D]

Old 01-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Time to restore my 1970 164

hey Tbrads, happy new year. Well I too am new to this forum, having only posted one question. I'm from Chester, England and have a 1971 164e. It was bought off ebay about twelve months ago having been rebuilt by its previous owner. Its sky blue metalic (111-4) with black leather inside. Now, I have modified nearly every car I have had so I started on the Volvo..And it's still in bits..!! So far I have reworked the head, with all the combustion chambers equal to each other in terms of cc. The intake ports have been opened, exhaust ports cleaned. Its now got hardened valve seats and everything has been polished or painted. The block was worn so It needs oversize pistons etc, It'll be balanced and lightened at the same time. With all this work and a reprofiled cam I will be seeing around 220bhp. I just have to get it out now. It's an automatic (bw35) which is okay but I have everything to convert it to manual (m41, 4speed with o/drive) so I shall do that when the engines out.
I've lowered it by trimming the coils, and have yet to fit konis all round. althrough I may get air bags for it so I can slam the beast,
But its fine for now. I need to get the steering box rebuilt as theres about 3/4 of a inch of play at the wheel, and I need to finish the dash board as I've changed the position of the heater controls and have replaced all the switchs with toggle types. I want more of a classic vibe inside so i'm getting rid of the modern stuff bit by bit. I'm just getting ready to move house so she has to wait for a bit. but i'll crack on as soon as I can. I need her finished Now really......

Get your engine out and get it stripped. Do bit by bit and it will come together. The twin carb set up will be fine if you do a bit of work to the cylinder head. With a bit of effort you could see 160bhp easy. Or stick the 5cyl turbo from the Audi in....now theres a thought..

Speak again soon my man

Andie