Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://volvoforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-26/)
-   -   Audio upgrade... (https://volvoforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-26/audio-upgrade-27421/)

Alexdfw 02-09-2009 11:33 PM

Audio upgrade...

This is probably just a silly question but...

Is it possible to upgrade an audio system... I have an '05 S40 with the regular audio system and I'm just completely fed up with how bad it can sound sometimes. Can I upgrade to a premium sound? IDK... HELP an AUDIOPHILE OUT!!!! I love this car, but loathe the audio system.

cbevis 02-12-2009 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Alexdfw (Post 143458)
This is probably just a silly question but...

Is it possible to upgrade an audio system... I have an '05 S40 with the regular audio system and I'm just completely fed up with how bad it can sound sometimes. Can I upgrade to a premium sound? IDK... HELP an AUDIOPHILE OUT!!!! I love this car, but loathe the audio system.

obviously you can upgrade it in the aftermarket....but from the way your question reads it sounds like you want to stay factory? I'm not familiar with S40s or their audio options BUT....if they came with a premium stereo option then you should be able to aquire those parts (ebay, craigslist, volvoforum clasifieds).

OR...you can bastardize the whole thing and go with something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KOSV...00.html?tp=119
Read the description, it's pretty self explanitory. With something like this you could pretty much create an aftermarket system using the factory parts.

BirdS40 03-13-2009 10:15 PM

Hello

Your question is far from silly!!!

I'm a recent owner of the S40, I must say I'm overally amazed with the car. However I also just have the "regular" (no equalizer for example) audio system and I find it completely disappointing...moreover in this level of car. I was expecting at least the same quality as Ford Focus "regular" has (it brings 4 full range and 2 tweeters)

...bass is too strong even in minimum (artificial)...but the worse is the lack of sharpness when it comes to high and mid frequencies, even putting treble in maximum.

I would never try an aftermarket headunit (maintain the dashboard and don't want to mess with clima car setting controls). The solution that comes to my mind is just to replace the speakers.

Where is the problem: speaker or headunit? Anybody having this opinion changed only the speakers? What brand/model do you recommend? (have to be full range...really don't want to screwdrive and mount tweeters in the any place...)

Thanks in advance!

cbevis 03-14-2009 09:46 AM

well, I'd say the problem is 50/50 HU to speakers. It always is. But by all means! Keep the OEM radio and just replace the speakers. That's a great start. In which case, for Volvo I would recommend Infinity Elements. These are great little speakers in a wide variety of sizes. Most are 2 ohm which seems kind of counter intuitive for a factory replacement speaker. Most OEM HUs are 4 ohm at best. These'll still work. They're guaranteed by both Infinity and Crutchfield to work in all factory settings and so far they're working great in my 240.

The thing about these speakers I think would work for you is that they're 2-way. Not just simply 2 channels split from one like most 2-way speakers. These have built in-line crossovers that take the active signal and split the frequencies just like a component would. So, none of this: "screwdrive and mount tweeters in the any place." Just strip the wires from your factory speakers and plug em in....done.

I feel strongly that these will corect most of the disdain you feel for the OEM system. However, the bass issue is far from speaker related. That's the OEM HU through and through. Have no fear http://www.crutchfield.com/p_5753SIX...IXTY.1&tp=6870 this is the widely utilize solution to this. It basically takes your HU and turns it into a glorified i-pod.

cbevis 03-14-2009 09:49 AM

i take that back....unless you have some kind of blue tooth device.....

at any rate...a signal processor is what you're after.

BirdS40 03-18-2009 07:01 PM

thanks your tip :)

I had the sense of satisfaction so many times with simple OEM systems in several other cars, that I am still ceptic about this...just wish that someone could come and say: "the HU is regular...the speakers are really bad quality, I changed them and it worked!" I am not a pure audiophile but I came from a cheap Alpine HU+Audiobahn speakers, and this is too bad to be true.

In some audio-foruns I have been also reading good reviews around "Coral" speakers as good high/mid frequency performers...I'll continue to seek for opinions.

thank you very much once again, cheers

remmy 03-19-2009 03:31 AM

Well, I am a professional audio installer and audiophile so ill give you my two cents.

Basically redo the entire system.

1. Ditch the radio, and stick in a double din touch screen and wire the ING wire directly to the ignition or the fuse panel. The amp can run off the same wire for turning the system on. Even though the stock radio also shows simple a/c info on the screen it seems you can live without them. If the a/c will not function without the radio, simply find room inside the dash for it. You are basically going to rewire the entire thing.

2. Remove the volume and tuning knobs and stick in gauges to fill in the void.

3. Run a 5 channel amp for speakers and a sub.

I reccomend the following components,
1. Eclipse Touch Screen
2. MB Quart reference door speakers
3. JBL 5 channel amp
4. One 10" Dayton Reference High Output Subwoofer ( mounted in the floor of the trunk)

Dont let the price of the 10" fool you. Its sold direct and is one of the better sounding subs I have heard in a long time.

Do the above and you will have one hell of a sound system.

^ That is what I plan to do when I eventually find an S40 R.

Somthngfrce 03-19-2009 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by remmy (Post 149920)
Well, I am a professional audio installer and audiophile so ill give you my two cents.

Basically redo the entire system.

1. Ditch the radio, and stick in a double din touch screen and wire the ING wire directly to the ignition or the fuse panel. The amp can run off the same wire for turning the system on. Even though the stock radio also shows simple a/c info on the screen it seems you can live without them. If the a/c will not function without the radio, simply find room inside the dash for it. You are basically going to rewire the entire thing.

2. Remove the volume and tuning knobs and stick in gauges to fill in the void.

3. Run a 5 channel amp for speakers and a sub.

I reccomend the following components,
1. Eclipse Touch Screen
2. MB Quart reference door speakers
3. JBL 5 channel amp
4. One 10" Dayton Reference High Output Subwoofer ( mounted in the floor of the trunk)

Dont let the price of the 10" fool you. Its sold direct and is one of the better sounding subs I have heard in a long time.

Do the above and you will have one hell of a sound system.

^ That is what I plan to do when I eventually find an S40 R.

+1....... on this one except in stead of MB Quart, I would put in my car Boston accoustics speakers. But that's my preference and that is a subjective thing. Unless you have a Lexus LS430 with the Nakamichi system and that can even be upgraded or Rolls ROYCE phantom, every stereo system outt there can be upgraded. I put Bostons in my car to upgrade the factory syste, and it helped a little. But I know the best set up IF I really wanted to would be just what remmy said... Good luck on what ever you choose!

remmy 03-20-2009 04:21 AM

Boston Acoustics isnt too bad. However, I like Nakamichi even morethan Eclipse but getting a DD Naka head unit is next to impossible. I think the only one if direct from Japan with a built in 6CD changer and a mini disc player as well.

remmy 03-20-2009 04:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wait, I found it!

BirdS40 03-21-2009 02:35 PM

hey remmy how about this:

http://images.kenwood.eu/files/image...nal/DPX303.jpg

in my previous car, i steped from Kenwood to Alpine...and it was not the same thing, Kenwood for me sounded great in all frequencies, a very balanced sound.

but as i said firstly, i would like to maintain the dashboard intact, i'm very purist with these things i won't go far from changing the speakers. i am very appreciated with everybody's tips, thank you guys.

Alexdfw how did you managed??

cheers