Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

picked up i-pod integrator yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picked up i-pod integrator yesterday

So I bought a new pioneer head unit with the i-pod integrator kit. $230 for the 6700 cd player and $99 for the i-pod connector from pioneer. It is awesome. Crystal clear sound, I just threw my i-pod in the glove box and now I can control it from the cd face as well as the remote. It displays song names, playlists, etc. Even the auxilary picks up as i-pod. real easy install. Must have for all die-hard i-pod fans. I know that there is a called ice-link that hooks up throught the cd changer port for most factory head units. It is $150 and hear it is pretty good too. My friend has it. www.densionusa.com, or dension.com or do a search for ice-link i-pod.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Default RE: picked up i-pod integrator yesterday

I have a 2001 S40. What head unit can i use and do u have pics of your new addition.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:47 PM

I do have pics, but I have tried to post a pic and it didn't work. The head unit is a pioneer deh-p6700mp with the $99 direct i-pod link. It allows you to put your i-pod out of sight like in the glove box. The head ubit displays the playlists and track names as well as artists. You can use random w. the face unit skip tracks, all that good stuff, and it transmits it digitally. Excellent sound.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:52 PM

I also use an iPod in my car.
My friend had the itrip system which didn't meet my needs. I tend to drive for long weekends and so my battery sometimes doesn't last as long as I need it to.

The Solution:

It's called the "PodGear iPod Car Dock FM" It's about 45 dollars if i remember correctly.
I found this system to be the best for my car. My 12v is right on the center console in a perfect spot, out of my dashboard and close the the armrest of my S40. This system broadcasts over shortband FM and you can tune the frequency by xxx.1 hz . The unit sticks flush to my interior. It charges my iPod while boardcasting which is perfect for long drives.

Hope this helps for some members?

Old 05-27-2005, 11:38 PM

It's worth the money to get the digital sound with the pioneer head unit and i-pod direct connect. And more efficient power. You get a remote and the ability to hide your i-pod away. I do agree however, if you don't care about quality of sound as much, your pod gear solution is the best fm modular unit I have seen.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:04 PM

Hi, new here. Just been searching on this subject. Does anyone know if it is possible to wire an ipod (or other mp3 player) into a Volvo branded headunit, even as an aux item? I'm specifically thinking of the SC-901 used the the C70. I could easily do an FM modulator but would prefer better quality. I don't suppose Volvo makes a trunk mounted mp3 player for the older models (I've read of the new ones). VW makes one for the Jetta's Monsoon stereo, but I'm guessing the SC-901 isn't advanced enough to control one or there isn't a market for it.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:17 PM

It would be a difficult task at hand. Not sure exactly how to wire and reprogram the stock HU to read the iPod. I am not aware of any connectors being sold for the stock systems. It may be easier to buy a new headunit with iPod compatibility.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in a new headunit--personally I think the stock set up is one of the best factory jobs around. But I may consider it. I'm really only thinking of doing this because the stock headunit has a 3 disc changer w/magazine in it. That will make changing discs cumbersome. But I would still have to invest in an ipod (which I really don't want anyway). Perhaps a trunk CD changer would add enough choices to satisfy me with little pain.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:51 AM

Actually I was just thinking. I really don't care if the headunit can control the player. I just want it as a "line in" device. So it would be better quality than using an FM modulator. I don't mind controlling the music selection using the player's controls. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Old 10-14-2005, 12:06 PM

Well. Then there are a few choices:

1. iTrip (often bad reception/signal)
2. Connect through cassette deck (probably best choice)
3. Buy docking station that connects into cigarette lighter

Old 10-18-2005, 02:23 PM

If the factory radio has cd changer compatability, then you might be able to find and adapter that plogs the ipod in to your cd changer control port. the ice-link does that I believe. That way the sound would be digital

Old 10-20-2005, 12:55 AM

Digital (through cd or casette) is much better than through FM transmission (iTrip). I would recommend buying any device that allows you to connect to the stock stereo and use the controls on that stereo, not the buttons on the iPod. That way, you won't have to fiddle around while driving.

Old 09-14-2006, 04:09 PM

2004 V40.

I found the USA Spec PA11-VOL to be a good (easy to install?) alternative to a whole new unit. It uses the cd changer pin set to control the pod so it can be stored away similar to the pioneers. However, for HUxxx units, a seperate cable must be bouth. It seems to be the best Volvo integration out there. Any others?

on the web: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=726

Does any have war stories of HU series removal and re-install?

Matt Davis

Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be having an i pod sync cord installed in my 02 v70 next week. There are two direct or hard wire options I have found. I found both of them at Future Shop but I am sure any good car audio store would have them. One plugs directly into the back of the factory sterio using an existing port that is empty ( unless you have a 6cd changer in your trunk in which case that will be plugged into it) this was $79 plus $50 install fee. The other less desirable option (for me anyway) is an audio-in plug that they plug in as well to this spare port at the back and you can plug any audio device into it for a direct link. I don't like it because it doesn't charge the ipod. $49 plus install fee.

Shawn

Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mondovideo
2004 V40.

I found the USA Spec PA11-VOL to be a good (easy to install?) alternative to a whole new unit. It uses the cd changer pin set to control the pod so it can be stored away similar to the pioneers. However, for HUxxx units, a seperate cable must be bouth. It seems to be the best Volvo integration out there. Any others?

on the web: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=726

Does any have war stories of HU series removal and re-install?

Matt Davis
Last USA Spec adapter I got for $45 new off Ebay. Just need to be patient. Blitzsafe also makes an adapter that is reasonably priced though the radio buttons will not advance the tracks on the iPod.
Originally Posted by ShawnM 02 V70
I will be having an i pod sync cord installed in my 02 v70 next week. There are two direct or hard wire options I have found. I found both of them at Future Shop but I am sure any good car audio store would have them. One plugs directly into the back of the factory sterio using an existing port that is empty ( unless you have a 6cd changer in your trunk in which case that will be plugged into it) this was $79 plus $50 install fee. The other less desirable option (for me anyway) is an audio-in plug that they plug in as well to this spare port at the back and you can plug any audio device into it for a direct link. I don't like it because it doesn't charge the ipod. $49 plus install fee.

Shawn
Good pricing on those adapters, but I would save the cash and do the install. A few cables to plug in and a few wire connections.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Default Which of the main 3 are the best?

I have a 04 S80 with the HU-611 radio and my research has concluded that there are basically 3 main options for ipod integration:
1. Neo Prolink PODVOLHUV2- icarkits.com $180
2. USA SPEC PA11- amazon.com $99
3. iMIV LE - www.imiv.ca $200

So which one is the best as far as audio quality and ablility to use steeringwheel/radio functions (and radio display?) ???

Thanks
Andrew

Old 11-17-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by sugardoo
I have a 04 S80 with the HU-611 radio and my research has concluded that there are basically 3 main options for ipod integration:
1. Neo Prolink PODVOLHUV2- icarkits.com $180
2. USA SPEC PA11- amazon.com $99
3. iMIV LE - www.imiv.ca $200

So which one is the best as far as audio quality and ablility to use steeringwheel/radio functions (and radio display?) ???

Thanks
Andrew
I get to find out this weekend how well this all goes. I just ordered the:
Neo ProLink - PODVOLHUV2.

Supposed to be here by Saturday. I'll try to take pics and do a play-by-play.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Well, I ended up getting the Neo Prolink. Installation was done pretty easily at Bestbuy. They mounted it on the floor under the carpet but where it curves up behind the wheel well. Ran the cable that connects to the Ipod out of the little sliding door area on the dash.
The Neo prolink sound is pretty good. There is no display and I can only use the steering wheel to skip or repeat songs. I elected to have it installed where I can use the functionality on the ipod while connected since the display on the dash doesn't do anything. One gripe is that sometimes when I restart my car it doesn't remember where I was on the ipod and just starts playing random songs.
I may have been better off with the iMIV but wanted to deal with a company within the US and the Prolink was a bit cheaper. I now wonder if the iMIV is a better unit..

Last edited by sugardoo; 11-18-2010 at 11:39 AM.