Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://volvoforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-26/)
-   -   iMiv with iPhone and Pandora radio (https://volvoforums.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-26/imiv-iphone-pandora-radio-37504/)

justinr 12-27-2009 05:51 PM

iMiv with iPhone and Pandora radio

Hello, I am almost certain that I will be purchasing the iMiv-LE for my 2003 S60. The only thing holding me back is that the required power cable is out of stock on their website. I have been researching for hours on these Volvo forums the past couple days, and I must thank everyone on here for making my decision easier.

My questions go out to an iMiv owner who uses it with their iPhone. I know that you need to number your play lists for the controls to work properly. If I put the iMiv into simple mode, can I use my iPhone to open up the Pandora app and hear the internet radio? Or maybe using the you-tube app to hear audio? When someone calls me, will I be able to answer the call without unplugging;? in simple mode and advanced mode?

I have HU-613 with premium sound and a 10 disk changer in the trunk. From what I have read, the iMiv is my best option for iPhone integration. From the iMiv site, I can also keep my CD changer connected?

nenje 01-11-2010 02:10 AM

It seems inconsistent that Apple would support MobileMe Syncing for Exchange and Outlook to attract new Windows users while leaving long-term, loyal customers (using Macs with Entourage) without MobileMe Sync support or a functional Microsoft Sync Services. I believe the existing MobileMe Terms of Service are misguided and that Apple is marginalizing its own customers -- Mac-based small businesses that have supported the company for years. I understand that Apple cannot support every e-mail and Calendar program on the market. However, Apple should be consistent in their support of Mac and PC-based users. I even understand if Apple wants to adopt a business strategy that encourages Mac-based small-business customers to migrate from Entourage to Apple Address Book/Mail/iCal.
__________________________________________________ _____
gmc parts
salt lake city car repair

justinr 01-11-2010 12:23 PM

Nenje, Does that mean you don't think it will work?

Just an FYI for everyone:
I spent all last week going back and forth with the iMiv support staff; they were very helpful and got back to me quickly. It will charge my iPhone 3G, maintain steering wheel controls, and I get to keep my CD changer. It will play the Pandora radio along with any apps audio, as long as it plays through a regular dock, however, steering wheel controls wont work.

I decided on ordering this set up, hopefully tonight. It will be the iMiv-LE hooked up in the front with the MD-changer firmware installed on it. It will be connected with the daisy chain melbus cable tied to my already installed 10cd changer. It will be mounted with a leather Kuda mount which was custom dyed to match my interior (kudausa.com). I will also be ordering the carcom iphone pass-through dock from kuda.

After I install everything, the end result should be a factory looking set up with easy access to my phone and no wires. I'll be sure to post pictures within the next couple weeks to show the finished products.

reenu 01-20-2010 01:37 AM

This was covered in the 3.0 preview conference video. Paraphrasing what Scott Forstall says around 0:21:56 into the video, when they talked to developers about how they wanted to use push then knew that their back-end service for push would not scale up. Given the fiasco of the Mac.com/MobileMe rollout that is an extremely wise move to wait till they had something that would work. Apple thought push was a great idea around the same time they thought rolling out new phone and MobileMe was at exactly was the great idea too.
If you think about it, all the push notifications for millions of phones (each with maybe 2 or 3 apps wanting updates per phone ) will head to Apple's server(s) first and then to your phone. The second problem they have is how to efficiently forward those to the cellular carriers when have to push that through 2G or 3G (also need to push to 25-30 different carriers). The bandwidth in may not be equal to bandwidth out. The simplistic solution is just to blast them back out to the ip-address have for each phone. Yeah the notifications are small, but even small numbers multiplied by 5 or 10 million is a large number.
__________________________________________________ ___
dining room furniture
homemade rat repellent

justinr 01-21-2010 03:39 PM

I seem to be getting really weird answers on here. I was only wondering how these ipod adapters work...