Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

more subs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more subs?

My friend and I just recently put one ten inch sub in my 98 S90 withNO amp. we just wired it through the back left stock speaker. Surprisingly it hits very good from the powerof that one little speaker. I want to install an Amp but im worried to take out my stock stero system andwire a amp. Any help on what i should do? or how to do it?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Default RE: more subs?

there's a lineout converter that you tap in to the rear lft. rt. speaker wires+/- lft. +/- rt. where you adjust the volume going threw rca plugs,L/R which plugin to linein on your amp. This way you balance the sub's with your factory system. the brand name is Raptor installation accessories. part no.loca25 found it at a car audio web site. for 30 35 bucks A audio installer place sells decks and hardware not the stuff you want Lata ....

Old 11-07-2007, 08:21 AM

it hits well because speaker outputs are amped higher than RCA outputs. It's a gamble doing it that way though. You could blow that sub out with one hard hitting thump.

There's a few alternatives to a full blown system install to getting an amp/sub in your car. ron1's solution will work but if it were me I'd just buy an amp with a high end input already on it. Then you'll only have one piece of foreign technology in you car.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 AM

that could be true if he was using an amp, but he said that he had no amp. what could be happening is that he is wiring the sub in parrallel with the speaker that he is tapping from. this will reduce the impedance and cause the amp to push out more power. If the factory amp wasn't designed for the reduced impedance load it will eventually kill the amp. to be on the safe side test the impedance of the factory speaker, unhook it and just wire the sub alone... or do it the correct way and buy an amp for the sub. like ron1 suggested, the 'easiest' way to do this is to get a l.o.c. and tap into the rear speakers then all you have to do is wire the amp for power and find a remote turn on lead. The remote turn on is most commonly tapped off of the stereo though so you may have to remove the stereo anyways.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: scott_fx

that could be true if he was using an amp, but he said that he had no amp. what could be happening is that he is wiring the sub in parrallel with the speaker that he is tapping from. this will reduce the impedance and cause the amp to push out more power. If the factory amp wasn't designed for the reduced impedance load it will eventually kill the amp. to be on the safe side test the impedance of the factory speaker, unhook it and just wire the sub alone... or do it the correct way and buy an amp for the sub. like ron1 suggested, the 'easiest' way to do this is to get a l.o.c. and tap into the rear speakers then all you have to do is wire the amp for power and find a remote turn on lead. The remote turn on is most commonly tapped off of the stereo though so you may have to remove the stereo anyways.

mmmmm....good point. I went at it as though there were speaker connection going into an amp via RCA.....silly cbevis.

I still think he could get away with just an amp with speaker level inputs on it though. As far as the remote signal goes.....any 12 volt line will do. Common practice is to take a fuse tap and jump a 12 volt signal from any switched power source. A really sloppy way to do it is to splice into your cig lighter..........but I don't remember that being switched?

Old 12-05-2007, 04:25 PM

agreed
ORIGINAL: cbevis
I still think he could get away with just an amp with speaker level inputs on it though.
If you get out your multimeter you can go to the fuse box and find a fuse that is a switched power source and just tap off of that. In my other ride the remote turn on lead is disabled as soon as you remove the stock head unit and the fuse panel is where we commonly tap the switched power from.