Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere (https://volvoforums.com/forum/canada-over-seas-elsewhere-49/)
-   -   2004, XC90 T6 AWD Problems (https://volvoforums.com/forum/canada-over-seas-elsewhere-49/2004-xc90-t6-awd-problems-33660/)

Wildwood 08-22-2009 09:54 PM

2004, XC90 T6 AWD Problems

I purchased a 4 yr. old off lease XC90 T6 AWD Volvo SUV from a wholesale auto dealer in Toronto last August, 2008. The kms: 94,000 km. Not long after the purchase, approx. 3 months, a number of problems began occurring. The main one was an ongoing unpredictable, intermittent draining of the battery. This would happen without any apparent cause as nothing was left on, ie., lights etc. I would attempt to auto unlock the car using the push button key pad and nothing would happen. I would then use the key manually and that would trigger the car's alarm and it would not shut off by using any prescribed method. Eventually, the battery would drain to the point that the alarm would stop. One time it drained so severely that the car went into a lock down mode where even the tires wouldn't move/turn. A flat bed trailer was required and the front tie rods were damaged and needed replacing following a battery charge. After a new battery was installed, it was just a matter of weeks and I was back to the same problem again. All the while, there was never any message alert on the message registry LCD screen warning of a low battery. This would generally happen overnight and occur the following morning. Eventually, a new problem arose: the ignition cartridge wouldn't turn when the key was in it. It just froze at times leaving me stranded until I could persuade it to work, sometimes taking over 20 minutes. This had to be replaced with a new cartridge. Cause? Wear and tear.(?) This occurred at approx. 115,000 kms. With only a few people ever using this vehicle, it's hard to believe it resulted from wear and tear. Formerly, I drove a Toyota Camry 1993 for 16 years without any key ignition wear and tear or need for a replacement. I laid it to rest at 400,000 kms. with a faulty transmission. This leads me to the latest drastic discovery: the transmission now apparently needs a total replacement for $7950.00 and this at 126,000 km?! I thought a Volvo would be an upgrade from my past car, but unfortunately, it has been anything but. :mad:I'm presently in the process of trying to work through this with a Toronto Dealership and with NA Volvo Customer Relations. If anyone else out there has experienced these kinds of problems and has had some success at getting them fixed, ie., ongoing electrical/electronic problems or transmission issues, or has successfully dealt with NA Volvo to rectify problems, ie., cooperation, compensation of some kind, I would love to hear back from you.
Perplexed and nearing broke,
Wildwood :confused:

gilber33 08-23-2009 02:32 PM

Post this in the proper thread, such as the XC90 thread, your probably not going to get many responses with it being in the regions thread.