Canada, Over Seas & Elsewhere Not from the states? Everywhere else post here.

Looking for Volvo tech in Burnaby, BC

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Volvo tech in Burnaby, BC

Hey all, this my first post and what I would like to know is a recommendation for a preferred independent Volvo garage in the Burnaby/Vancouver/New Westminster area. The car is a 2001 S40 that suddenly refuses to start plus it is throwing a code. I've googled independent mechanics in my area but I don't know which to choose from a myriad list in our area. Can any of you recommend a garage that you have had good luck with? Thank-you in advance.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a new BC member myself, taking possession of an '09 XC90 on Friday. I can't vouch for them personally but I've been hearing Scandia Motors in Maple Ridge is a good indy Volvo option in the lower mainland.

I did talk to them to introduce myself the other day and they were quite helpful when I was trying to make up my mind on the XC90. Other than that, no affiliation.

Check out the reviews and maybe give them a try?

Scandia Motors - Maple Ridge, BC | Yelp

They are sort of in behind an Indian resturant called "G&M" or something similar, across from a JiffyLube on Loughheed.

-Jeff

The following users liked this post:
PeterMc (12-10-2022)
Old 12-15-2014, 01:21 AM

my mechanic is not a volvo tech, but he is the only mechanic that has worked on my current volvo ,with no issues over 5 years. p&t Automitive in Vancouver, on grandview hwy (12th ave) and lakewood. on the north side of grandview hwy, across the street from the husky station.

the is another guy. azro motors he claims to be a volvo mech. but i had nothing but issues with him when i had my 240. if you can't put in a water pump 3 times. then maybe you are not as good as you claim. but that is my personal experience with him, and his shop. you may have alot better luck with him.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:12 PM

I have a volvo 850 and had a place called Jem Auto Service in Coquitlam, just across from Ikea. I have taken all my vehicles to these guys since I met a mechanic that works there. He was part of the Air Cadet group my kids were in and he was upright and honest and a great person.
At first I asked that only he work on my cars and that was ok but after more than ten years I have found this place to be great and know a lot more long term customers.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive dealt with Ed Schram for years. Unfortunately they let Len retire and he is well missed but I couldn't count the number of times he helped me diagnose things over the phone. He was the most reasonable guy to deal with and always seemed to have just what I needed within arms reach of the counter even if it was an obscure part. they began as a wrecker and bought a lot of accident damaged cars. Nowadays im still driving at least 25 year old cars but it seems they have evolved and adapted to the newer stuff quite well. Last time I had my car towed in they still did a good job so I'd still recommend them over anyone in the area that I know of. That said I do most of my own work so when I go to them t's because Im stuck or it's snowing and I need my car for work, or something like that.

i remember putting my 240 engine together. I pretty well blueprinted it and it would only run at about 1000 RPM or so, right away he told me I put the plate on the back of the flywheel on one bolt out and so the crankshaft sensor was seeing the top dead center hole in the wrong place. I was frustrated and had been renting a car for my wife while I got carried away with an extreme rebuild. at that point I towed it in and he pulled the tranny and moved the plate to the right spot and put the transmission back in. It didnt' phase him. I had many strange and obscure issues over the years and h always had the answers in his head. My whole family got to know him, we all had volvos and he'd always seem to know if someone was struggling and he'd go find a used part or go over and above and drive us home or whatever was needed anytime we seemed to be struggling. If I went in there with money and big plans he'd sell me shiny new stuff. He just had a way about him and customer service that very few mechanics learn.

Len was an incredible mechanic but Im sure the guys they have there now are good as well. I could comfortably say we got hooked on volvos because he wouldn't touch anything else and we felt safe having him to call upon. The man inspired me.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:41 AM
Default Jim Pattison Subaru Coquitlam was a Volvo dealer, so now "inde"

I guess the former Jim Pattison Volvo of Coquitlam now qualifies as an "independent" Volvo service center, as at the end of 2015, they became Jim Pattison Subaru Coquitlam. They assured their Volvo clients: "We will be able to continue to fulfill your regular maintenance and service needs for your Volvo once we reopen as we will continue to have our Volvo Master Technicians working in our Coquitlam Subaru dealership."
The only experience I had with them involved the PC board for the instrument cluster of our 03 S80. They responded well, and in fact spontaneously matched a lower price that I mentioned having been quoted by Docksteader Volvo. (I had not requested this.) My impression is that Pattison dealers are very well run. (I have no association with them.)

Old 02-27-2017, 06:05 PM

Back to Volvo after a couple of Q5's. I am wondering what a typical oil change with filter and engine air filter will cost? Are there places recommended beyond the dealer for basic changes?

Also how often should I be worried about the engine air filter and cabin filter in a 16 T5 XC60?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2017, 02:58 PM

After 2 bad experiences already at Volvo Vancouver/Docksteader's I would not take anything there again. Interesting that they unplugged my dash camera. I assume to make sure I don't know what was going on with my car? Seems odd as they left other items plugged in.