Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Clear Coat Loss/Single Stage Paint Issue – Need Inexpensive Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Coat Loss/Single Stage Paint Issue – Need Inexpensive Suggestions

I’m a total newbie when it comes to paint, and I’m hoping I can get some suggestions from the group.

As you’ll see from the photo, the 14 year-old car is losing its clear coat in a very strange pattern (my thought is that the previous owner got a bad paint job after an accident) and needs a total repaint, but the $$ isn’t available and probably won’t be for the next year or two. My thought is a polishing compound followed by a good wax, but I’m wondering if the polish is going to have any effect on the area without clear coat. Can anyone advise what can be done to take care of the car? I don’t mind spending an entire weekend ‘scrubbing & rubbing’ if there’s anything that can help.

Attached Thumbnails -850.jpg  
Old 05-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the looks of it you have no clear coat and significant oxidation. You could try some products (I'm partial to Meguiars) that might help some but short of painting it I think you will have to live with it. Go to a store that sells automotive paint (not an Autzone or Parts Plus type store) and ask them for suggestions on how to bring the finish back as much as possible. It will cost a little bit more than just polish and will entail major elbow grease but you might be able to make it look a little better.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:49 PM

This is what I did on our 98 V70 that was losing a spot of clear coat on its hood. I did not want to spend a lot of time or money but didn't want the area to grow until all of the clear was gone. I bought a spray can of Dupli.Color acrylic enamel clearcoat, removed the flaking lose clear coat, light sanded (something like 400grit) the area without clearcoat and about 6" of the adjacent areas with clear. I didn't mask out side the area but I recommend it. cleaned the area and sprayed a few heavy coats of the clear. Let it dry over night then wet sanded with 2000 grit the whole area. It turned out amazingly decent. I'd post a pic but the car isn't here now.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:42 AM

I can do a write up as to how to fix that... but its very possible to make that shine again:
Name:  Compoundedwithawoolpad.jpg
Views: 7069
Size:  41.1 KB

This is the whole front end done:
Name:  Thefinalfrontendsplitinhalfinside.jpg
Views: 2497
Size:  42.6 KB

Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 AM

nice paint job, lol. but seriously that impresive!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 PM

You can definitely polish that up. Its not gonna make much of a difference clear coat vs single stage they both polish about the same. If you can get a buffer and some decent polishing compounds like meguiars mirror glaze line (My napa has em) you can get that like new in no time. megs #83 & #82 are a good combo, the newer better versions of these compounds are megs m105 and m205.

Name:  IMG_3307.jpg
Views: 5993
Size:  31.5 KB

Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM

I have a clear coat issue, too. Obviously I'm a paint idiot and didn't know how to take care of my metallic stock paint and clear coat. I had the car parked uncovered while I went to college and low and behold it messed up my car's paint, leather upholstery, and dashboard in certain places. Fortunately, the clear coat damage is only on the trunk (see picture).

Would bobec's suggestion ("I bought a spray can of Dupli.Color acrylic enamel clearcoat, removed the flaking lose clear coat, light sanded (something like 400grit) the area without clearcoat and about 6" of the adjacent areas with clear. I didn't mask out side the area but I recommend it. cleaned the area and sprayed a few heavy coats of the clear. Let it dry over night then wet sanded with 2000 grit the whole area.") work in this situation?

Also, if I need to repaint, does anyone know where to find paint to match the original?

Thanks for your help and I apologize for my paint newb-ness!

Name:  q3bUV4d.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  518.9 KB

Last edited by MaRmalade920; 07-25-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Image didn't work
Old 09-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have purchased paint from Paintscratch.com for 2 cars and have had good success repairing small to medium sized areas although I have not done an entire roof or hood. Paint Scratch will match paint to the color code on the plate inside your car. The color code plate on my car is located in the engine compartment near the battery. I just repaired a deep 8" scratch on my hood and you can't see it unless you know right where to look.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by MaRmalade920
Would bobec's suggestion ("I bought a spray can of Dupli.Color acrylic enamel clearcoat, removed the flaking lose clear coat, light sanded (something like 400grit) the area without clearcoat and about 6" of the adjacent areas with clear. I didn't mask out side the area but I recommend it. cleaned the area and sprayed a few heavy coats of the clear. Let it dry over night then wet sanded with 2000 grit the whole area.") work in this situation?

Also, if I need to repaint, does anyone know where to find paint to match the original?

The suggestion of Dupli-Color will possibly make it look better. It certainly won't look factory or professionally done, but it would make a short term improvement. After the final sanding with 2000 grit, it will need to be polished to remove the sanding marks.

The key is that when paint starts failing, anything put on top of it won't adhere to the main surface. It will rise off with the topcoat that is on the way out. Removing the worst of it will help adhesion, but you have to be careful to not remove too much base coat (the color coat).

If repainting, any body shop supplier will be able to mix paint according to the vehicle's code.