Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://volvoforums.com/forum/engine-internal-22/)
-   -   CHIP REPROGRAMMING (https://volvoforums.com/forum/engine-internal-22/chip-reprogramming-2533/)

ZIGZAG 08-31-2005 02:58 PM

CHIP REPROGRAMMING

I thought I might pose this question here as well. I have a 01 S40 1.9t and I want to upgrade the chip, I am considering upsolute. Does anyone have any advice or has done this before. Please let me know what you think.:eek:

theinfamousvolvoguy 09-06-2005 08:03 PM

RE: CHIP REPROGRAMMING

i heard from the upsolute dude here in fl that he has done a couple guys s40's and they were very happy with the results. they said that the only problem they had was trying to get the tires to stick!!

cheers
garret

ZIGZAG 09-12-2005 01:15 PM

I have to admit I went ahead and did it. I am very happy with the results. I dont have the tire problem as I already have upgraded the rubber. Sucker moves now. The boost is much more predicatble and stronger. Have not installed a boost gage yet but should be pushing close to 16 psi. The best improvement is the 100kms (60) to 160kms (??). She really moves now. I am getting the dyno done soon and I am hopeing to see 210 hp@5800.

theinfamousvolvoguy 09-12-2005 10:04 PM

im very glad to hear that. so you say there is a noticable difference when punching it at 60 mph to 100 mph?? 100kmh(60mph)
160kmh(100mph).

ZIGZAG 09-13-2005 10:09 AM

Yes, turbo is working much harder and longer. When you are at 100 you can punch it down and turbo will spool all the way to at least 160. I have only had it up to 170 so far. Sorry speeds are in kms/h as I dont have imperial number on my speedo. The other great advantage is from stop to 60 kms. The turbo now kicks in alot sooner. Before I noticed that it would start spooling at about 35-40 kms/h Now (with a touch of reponse lag) the turbo kicks in almost right away. Sorry Without a boost gage I cannot get you any numbers as far as psi go. When I get around to it I will post more about that.

P.S. If anyone has any great ideas about how to mount the boost gage in My S40 Let me know, Better yet show me some pics. I need ideas and I am not going to stick them on the Dash Board Like some kinda rice rocket.[:'(]

theinfamousvolvoguy 09-14-2005 11:58 AM

i dont know how these s-40 guys do it, but i have my gauges mounted on the a-pillar. so yea when you get those gauges running let me know the readings. happy motoring!

cheers
garret

ZIGZAG 09-14-2005 03:54 PM

I found an A piller dual pod and single pod. I will have to order them. I think this would look best. Any suggestions as to what gages to use. I want a boost gage but not sure if psi or bars are better. I was thinking of exhaust temp for other, I think this is an expensive one to install, would fuel air be better or oil temp?

tech 09-14-2005 08:50 PM

I would say go for the air/fuel (rich/lean) guage.

theinfamousvolvoguy 09-15-2005 04:47 PM

i would go for boost, egt, and air/fuel if you can get them all mounted. if not then go for boost and air/fuel. as far as the bar and psi go, thats really up to. personally i went with psi because its easier for me to read and see. im not really that smart so i dont have time to calculate bar to psi.

cheers
garret

ZIGZAG 09-15-2005 04:57 PM

Good call, I have only found one A-Pillar mount with 2 pods. wish there was a 3 some. I would like to know oil temp as well. when I get some extra mola will have to order it.

ZIGZAG 09-15-2005 06:45 PM

Just in response to the gage thing. I might not be getting them for awhile. just check prices. 100 buck ea. 100 bucks for A-Pillar and then I have to get installed. [:@]

tommyv 09-20-2005 02:43 PM

I am also interested in upgrading my chip and the two I've heard of are Upsolute and Evolve. The Evolve is over $200 more expensive, anyone know why? Also Evolve says that volvo will still honor the warranty with the performance chip, is this true?

ZIGZAG 09-20-2005 06:31 PM

I am not sure about the other one, I got an upsolute and I dont know what else they could possibly do to make it worth 200 more. If they are planning on getting more than 16 psi boost I would watch out. Might blow you turbo apart. If you go with the upsolute they tell me that the techs cannot tell that the chip has been modified, it doesn't show on their systems. Upsolute also gave a me a lifetime reprogramming warranty. If the dealer flashes my chip then I can get Upsolute to reprogram agian.

theinfamousvolvoguy 09-21-2005 07:23 PM

man zig that sucks. i got my a-pillar setup for $26.00, my boost was $56.00, air/fuel was $20.00 and i just ordered the egt and that was $150 for the 100-1200 degree
kit.

ZIGZAG 09-22-2005 12:13 PM

where did you find your a-pillar and gages? I am also working in CAD dollars.

alecw81 09-23-2005 02:11 AM

Air Fuel Gauges are worthless... They're just pretty little blinkly lights that are inaccurate. If you really want to monitor your engine get a good EGT Gauge (GReddy Peak/Hold) and a Wideband o2 kit. The wideband o2 isn't exactly cheap, but it's one of the best tools for tuning.

theinfamousvolvoguy 09-25-2005 11:57 PM

yea in reference to what i was saying when i was talking about the a/f gauge i wasnt talking about the blinky one, i was talking about the wideband o2. i found my a-pillar pod at a local speed shop, but its made by apc i know apc is gay...but its universal and it doesnt cay apc all over it. im sure you could get it online. im thinking of taking mine out and getting dash mount pod set.

ZIGZAG 09-28-2005 06:06 PM

I will look into that pod. The one I found is for the S40.

I wanted to post a follow up to my chip programming. I think (not sure yet) I blew my manifold or gasket. I am affraid to take it in. I think the turbo burped. I think I would get the exhaust done before I reprogrammed again. I will let you know what I find out.

theinfamousvolvoguy 10-12-2005 06:52 PM

yea let me know how that went or is going ?? how do you know it was the manifold or gasket??

tech 10-12-2005 09:43 PM

Are you sure one of the rubber hoses didn't just blow off?