Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://volvoforums.com/forum/engine-internal-22/)
-   -   Update on ECU/Speed tuning USA (https://volvoforums.com/forum/engine-internal-22/update-ecu-speed-tuning-usa-5947/)

Bender 05-23-2006 09:24 PM

Update on ECU/Speed tuning USA

Unfortunately EurosportTuning no longer makes its ECU's and only vends the BSRs, which are amazing but I simply dont have a g to spend. So I have been talking with Speedtuning and Oliver has more than calmed my nerves. The air/fuel ratios are optimized and i do get that all important psi boost...

S70driver 05-23-2006 09:30 PM

RE: Update on ECU/Speed tuning USA

So which program you going for? 12/15/17 PSI version?

Bender 05-23-2006 09:31 PM

the 15 is so tempting but i dont think it is a good idea, so probably 12

what do you rec. S70?

Bender 05-23-2006 10:36 PM

i would love your opinon as well tech

tech 05-23-2006 10:48 PM

HMMMMM I keep Hearing 15 is Max. 12 is good but 15 is Tempting.

I would have to sit and Think LONG AND HARD.

S70driver 05-23-2006 11:22 PM

Well what size is your turbo? I have a 13g turbo not very big. So I picked the 12PSI program from ST USA.

Bender 05-23-2006 11:37 PM

how would one go about determining the size of the turbo? do i have to pull it off?

S70driver 05-24-2006 12:04 AM

Call your dealership or look it up online like on volvospeed.

Bender 05-24-2006 09:35 AM

FYI after extensive thought I have decided to not do it... i am gonna get some better tires and brakes then get a BSR...

S70driver 05-24-2006 08:04 PM

Nice choice

Bender 05-24-2006 10:29 PM

yup, will be a solid year till that happens though

mcguij1 04-10-2007 02:22 PM

if i have a 12t turbo that came with my 04 s40 auto, what would i need from an ecu upgrade as far as the psi you guys are talking about? I dont understand how that works, im sorry for sounding stupid but again im new at all this turbo stuff.

S70driver 04-10-2007 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: mcguij1

if i have a 12t turbo that came with my 04 s40 auto, what would i need from an ecu upgrade as far as the psi you guys are talking about? I dont understand how that works, im sorry for sounding stupid but again im new at all this turbo stuff.
You would probably want 12PSI if you went with a SpeedTuning USA ecu upgrade. They have 12/15/17 PSI programs. That means different tunes. All basically the same except for the different boost it can run. I believe a 12T is a small turbo just like a 13g thusly I would go with the 12 PSI program. Currently I am running 15PSI and it is at the max that turbo can run effeciently.

"Boost in automotive engineering is a positive intake manifold pressure in cars with turbochargers or superchargers. Boost is quantifiable as the pressure above atmospheric pressure that the turbocharger or supercharger is creating in the engine's inlet manifold, and is usually measured in bar or PSI (pounds per square inch)."

*"
Boost Boost refers to the increase in manifold pressure that is generated by the turbocharger in the intake path or specifically intake manifold that exceeds normal atmospheric pressure. This is also the level of boost as shown on a pressure gauge, usually in bar, psi or possibly kPa This is representative of the extra air pressure that is achieved over what would be achieved without the forced induction. Manifold pressure should not be confused with the amount, or "weight" of air that a turbo can flow. Boost pressure is limited to keep the entire engine system including the turbo inside its design operating range by controlling the wastegate which shunts the exhaust gases away from the exhaust side turbine. In some cars the maximum boost depends on the fuel's octane rating and is electronically regulated using a knock sensor, see Automatic Performance Control (APC)."

mcguij1 04-10-2007 02:35 PM

Thanks, I found a place here in NJ that does Upsolute chips, I am going to give them call for an estimate.

S70driver 04-10-2007 02:40 PM

Thanks, I found a place here in NJ that does Upsolute chips, I am going to give them call for an estimate.
Upsolute is an ok tune.

I would seriously do a STAGE ZERO. Which can be found in this link here, https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm

Do this first. It will get your car in mechanical working order. You may think it already is but just do it anyways, because who knows what might be wrong with the car and you don't even know it. Also get a boost gauge before you get the ECU done. You will be able to tell how much your boosting stock with the gauge which is a good thing to know. Then once you get the ECU upgrade you will be able to accurately tell how much your boosting after that. It is a great diagnostics tool to have onboard. Not to mention you should dyno your car stock to get a baseline of what your producing Hp and Torque wise. Get A/F ratios with this too as these are important. Contact that Upsolute dealer and see if they will custom tune your ECU to what your baseline dyno and A/F ratios are saying. Again I wouldn't go over 15PSI on that small 12T turbo. After you have the ECU upgraded do another dyno with A/F ratios and see what you have got.

mcguij1 04-10-2007 04:49 PM

thanks for all the advice, i will look into it. But the link you shared for the stage zero appears to be out dated....

S70driver 04-10-2007 05:16 PM

thanks for all the advice, i will look into it. But the link you shared for the stage zero appears to be out dated....
Then go to Volvospeed and go to the PERFORMANCE section of the forum and read the PINNED thread.

mcguij1 04-11-2007 11:38 AM

s70, i would like to get boost gauge for the turbo, recommend any products, also, what is the install like, can I do it myself or is it complicated?

S70driver 04-11-2007 12:10 PM

s70, i would like to get boost gauge for the turbo, recommend any products, also, what is the install like, can I do it myself or is it complicated?
*I suggest getting an Autometer and buying it from egauges.com

*As for the A-pillar pod if you want one I suggest getting it from gaugepods.com
Great prices and basically the only people that sell Volvo A-pillar pods. I think IPD might but they will rip you off big time.

*Yes you can do this yourself it isn't hard. I had a shop do mine because I had them do the other two gauges at the same time.

RedTurbo850 05-29-2007 12:41 AM

^I'm going to probably be getting a boost guage soon by VDO.

I will most likely be making a custom pod out of fiberglass.. And while I'm at it, make some eyelids too.

Edit: Is the process of installing one of the new pods just a matter of double sided tape?

And to the original poster. Whats your car/year/trim? I'll find out what turbo you got..