Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://volvoforums.com/forum/engine-internal-22/)
-   -   WHAT BOV TO GET? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/engine-internal-22/what-bov-get-12452/)

olegs70glt 07-06-2007 03:59 AM

WHAT BOV TO GET?

Hey Guys I was looking at these bovs on Ebaymotors, Just want to find out are anyof these any good? I really like turboXS sound and I dont like the sound HKS makes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SILVE...38009434QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RS-TY...34165803QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RS-TY...49066841QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...24219444QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dual-...30449498QQrdZ1

S70driver 07-06-2007 08:18 AM

RE: WHAT BOV TO GET?

1. DO NOT buy off EBAY unless it is a genuine BOV not some knock off. You will regret it down the line.

2. I suggest an HKS SSQV.

The first one you linked is a TURBOXS Type H-RFL. Known to be prone to leaking like hell. DO NOT buy it. All the other ones are knock offs and are crap. Go real or not at all.

olegs70glt 07-06-2007 06:28 PM

I see, what else do you reccomend except hks ssqv, the problem with it is that it makes whistling sound, I like pshh, more like turbo XS makes? any ideas?

olegs70glt 07-06-2007 06:30 PM

Also 1 more question is there any place I ca but guage pod for my s70 except, http://www.gaugepods.com/volvo.html, because I want double guage pod not tripple or single..... Or maybe I should get two single pods

S70driver 07-06-2007 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: olegs70glt

I see, what else do you reccomend except hks ssqv, the problem with it is that it makes whistling sound, I like pshh, more like turbo XS makes? any ideas?
You could try a TIAL bov. However I highly suggest the HKS SSQV.

I have a TURBO XS Type H-RFL. I bought it not knowing of the leaking issues. Know that I do know I should have bought an HKS SSQV. However I bought the XS for a good price. I'd sell you my XS if I could purcahse an HKS SSQV and have it installed.

S70driver 07-06-2007 10:22 PM

Also 1 more question is there any place I ca but guage pod for my s70 except, http://www.gaugepods.com/volvo.html, because I want double guage pod not tripple or single..... Or maybe I should get two single pods
IPD USA sells singles and Triples as well. Sorry no one makes a double at all.

However you could buy the Triple from GaugePods.com and send it to RodPods. He would cut the thrid pod off and custom mold the two remaining pods to your A-pillar. This would look perfectly OEM. However you will have to shell out a crap load of money.

http://rodrigosilva.wordpress.com/

$50 for the Triple pod itsself and then...

Another VOLVO 850 & S/V 70 2 pod: $ 190 + shipping to you.

Some of his work

http://www.gktuning.com/projects/gaugepod/DSCN2240.JPG

http://www.swedespeed.com/gallery/al...ionals/083.jpg

olegs70glt 07-07-2007 01:41 AM

I see, what about buying two single pods or buying triple pod and cutting the third off myself, my father is mechanic and has a shop where we can do it.

S70driver 07-07-2007 09:00 AM

I see, what about buying two single pods or buying triple pod and cutting the third off myself, my father is mechanic and has a shop where we can do it.
You will have to do cutting for either one and I'm nto so sure it will turn out looking good.

I say get a triple and don't use the third pod. Just leave it there.

olegs70glt 07-07-2007 02:54 PM

I see, I bought two guages,and doubleguage pod that doesnt fit. So Im going to buy third guage and get triple guage pod for volvo. I think that's the best I can do.

S70driver 07-07-2007 03:11 PM

I see, I bought two guages,and doubleguage pod that doesnt fit. So Im going to buy third guage and get triple guage pod for volvo. I think that's the best I can do.
1. What gauges?

2. Why did you buy a double pod that didn't fit? You knew it wouldn't fit so why buy it?

3. What third gauge are you buying?

olegs70glt 07-07-2007 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

1. What gauges?

2. Why did you buy a double pod that didn't fit? You knew it wouldn't fit so why buy it?

1.I bought glowshift guages, right now I have boost/vacuum and voltmeter, going to get third one air to fuel ratio guage.
2. I thought the one I bought will fit, but its for Japanese vehicles probably. I bought it on ebaymotors, it said it fits accord civic, rsx 240sx but in description it said it's custom fit, so I thought it will fit s70 too. (Trying to return it.)
3. Air/fuel ratio.

S70driver 07-07-2007 03:18 PM

1. What gauges?

1.I bought glowshift guages, right now I have boost/vacuum and voltmeter, going to get third one air to fuel ratio guage.
2. I thought the one I bought will fit, but its for Japanese vehicles probably. I bought it on ebaymotors, it said it fits accord civic, rsx 240sx but in description it said it's custom fit, so I thought it will fit s70 too. (Trying to return it.)
3. Air/fuel ratio.
Good luck with the Glowshift gauges. IMO they are crap. I would have gone with Autometer or DEFI.

Never buy a product that says custom for a Volvo. More times then not it wont fit. And when a product on EBAY says for Volvo and a certain model be aware that they could just put that so more people will buy it. Buy from reputable companies that know what they are doing.

Are you buying a Narrowband 02 gauge or a Wideband 02 gauge? If your going Narrowband I suggest you stop a think about this for a moment. A Narrowband is just a stupid light show. It doesn't give you good readings on your a/f ratios. What you want is a Wideband 02 gauge. This will be give accurate readings of what your a/f ratio really is.

olegs70glt 07-07-2007 03:30 PM

1. What gauges?

3. Air/fuel ratio.
Good luck with the Glowshift gauges. IMO they are crap. I would have gone with Autometer or DEFI.

Never buy a product that says custom for a Volvo. More times then not it wont fit. And when a product on EBAY says for Volvo and a certain model be aware that they could just put that so more people will buy it. Buy from reputable companies that know what they are doing.

Are you buying a Narrowband 02 gauge or a Wideband 02 gauge? If your going Narrowband I suggest you stop a think about this for a moment. A Narrowband is just a stupid light show. It doesn't give you good readings on your a/f ratios. What you want is a Wideband 02 gauge. This will be give accurate readings of what your a/f ratio really is.

I see, thanks, Im going to have to see which third guage I am going to get. I just didnt like autometer and other brands, just me. So guagepods.com is the only place that sells pods for volvos? and the other site u gave me thats $190.?

S70driver 07-07-2007 03:34 PM

1. What gauges?

3. Air/fuel ratio.

I see, thanks, Im going to have to see which third guage I am going to get. I just didnt like autometer and other brands, just me. So guagepods.com is the only place that sells pods for volvos? and the other site u gave me thats $190.?
Gaugepods.com is not the only place that sells them. IPD USA also sells them at a markup. So why buy the same damn thing for more money. Go with Gaugepods.com

RodPods is something totally different. What you do is buy the single or Triple gauge pods from Gaugepods.com
Then you send that and your A-pillar to RodPods. He will custom mold the Gaugepods.com single or Triple gauge pod into your A-pillar for a very custom very OEM looking A-pillar gauge pod mounting system. He does great work. I showed you that already. So you would have to buy the single or Triple gauge pod and then spend another $190 or so for it to be custom molded if you went this route.

And for your third gauge if you want A/F buy the wideband please. Yeah it cost $300 something but do you want a stupid light show or something that actually tells you something?

olegs70glt 07-07-2007 05:18 PM

1. What gauges?

3. Air/fuel ratio.

Gaugepods.com is not the only place that sells them. IPD USA also sells them at a markup. So why buy the same damn thing for more money. Go with Gaugepods.com

RodPods is something totally different. What you do is buy the single or Triple gauge pods from Gaugepods.com
Then you send that and your A-pillar to RodPods. He will custom mold the Gaugepods.com single or Triple gauge pod into your A-pillar for a very custom very OEM looking A-pillar gauge pod mounting system. He does great work. I showed you that already. So you would have to buy the single or Triple gauge pod and then spend another $190 or so for it to be custom molded if you went this route.

And for your third gauge if you want A/F buy the wideband please. Yeah it cost $300 something but do you want a stupid light show or something that actually tells you something?

is that what you have? 300 dollar something guage? thats rediculuos seriously 300 for guage, wow... its not professional track car. it everyday s70 glt. why would i waste 300 on thats piece of crap? i just go with not so accurate guage. i just need basic idead of the ratio.

S70driver 07-07-2007 05:21 PM

1. What gauges?

3. Air/fuel ratio.

is that what you have? 300 dollar something guage? thats rediculuos seriously 300 for guage, wow... its not professional track car. it everyday s70 glt. why would i waste 300 on thats piece of crap? i just go with not so accurate guage. i just need basic idead of the ratio.
No I don't have a A/F ratio gauge at all. But if I was going to I would get a Wideband for sure.

Um a Wideband 02 gauge isn't a piece of crap. The Narrowband 02 gauge is a piece of crap.

Go for the pretty lights. You wont have a clue what your a/f ratios are.

S70driver 07-07-2007 05:36 PM

Here are the two A/f gauges you have to pick from. Not brands to pick from, types of A/F ratio gauges to pick from.

Narrowband 02
http://www.egauges.com/images/autome...e_d/5775_d.jpg

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images...large/1881.jpg

Wideband 02
http://www.egauges.com/images/autome...e_d/5778_d.jpg

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...xd16_gauge.jpg

As you can see the Narrowband doesn't have a readout. The Wideband does. You want to know actul numbers like the example above. You just don't want to know if your LEAN, STOICH, RICH. You want to know the number associated with each one of those.

When you dyno your car, you should get A/F ratios as well. Because when you send in your dyno sheets to your ECU tuner they will take a look at what your A/F ratios are to better tune the ECU for your car. If all you gave them what a sheet that said the car is running RICH they wouldn't really be able to tune your car to the best they could. However with readouts like 12.1 or 14.5 etc... they can better tune your ECU. This is an example of why a wideband 02 gauge is better then a narrowband 02 gauge. Yeah the cost between both types is far apart but if I was going to do an A/F gauge it would be a wideband 02. I want to know exactly what I am running for A/F ratios I don't just want an idea. And the idea being oh I am running LEAN, oh I am STOICH or oh I am RICH. That is what you get with a Narrowband 02 with a Wideband 02 you get the full picture not just an idea.

S70driver 07-07-2007 06:17 PM

Do you see where I am coming from on this? I know there is a huge price difference, but if you can't afford or don't want to afford a Wideband 02 gauge then I suggest going for some other type of gauge.

olegs70glt 07-07-2007 08:21 PM

Do you see where I am coming from on this? I know there is a huge price difference, but if you can't afford or don't want to afford a Wideband 02 gauge then I suggest going for some other type of gauge.
I see, thanks for information.

olegs70glt 07-07-2007 08:22 PM

you have boost, voltmeter and oil temp.?