Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Forum Issues (https://volvoforums.com/forum/forum-issues-8/)
-   -   Having Problems Opening Threads (https://volvoforums.com/forum/forum-issues-8/having-problems-opening-threads-13137/)

JimKW 08-13-2007 08:18 AM

Having Problems Opening Threads

I can use this forum fine at work, but at home it will take as long as 3-5 minutes to open a thread or to just get on the board. It keeps getting the message "opening, but with errors" and it does this over and over until it finaly opens. I use dial-up at home, because nothing else is available where I live, but I open other websites ok, but almost always have problems with this one.

TheSteelKnight 08-13-2007 08:49 AM

RE: Having Problems Opening Threads

Sounds to me like your home internet doesnt like the advertisements. Dial-up has a hard time keeping up with a href gif pictures. It really just kinda depends. You might wanna check your cookie sections, and make sure they are storing these pages because it should make access easier as time goes on.

S70driver 08-13-2007 10:24 AM

You answered your own question.

DIAL-UP, this is your problem.

Are you seriously that far out in the boondocks that you cannot get DSL and or Cable?

Anyways it takes awhile because your running 56K which is slow slow slooowwwwwww. Pictures, ads, etc... take awhile to load on DIAL-UP.

reg 08-13-2007 05:10 PM

Jim, my suggestion is to purchase a Sprint mobile broadband card. I use one as I travel and I want complete privacy because of the sensitive nature of litigation. Wireless in hotels is mostly open to "anyone" but the rather inexpensive Sprint is not. I travel between Florida and New Jersey and have yet to find an area that does not have coverage. Lastly, Sprint has the fastest broadband available and you do not need a Sprint phone service to obtain their mobile broadband.

REG

tech 08-13-2007 06:15 PM

Im not sure it is all his connection.

The site is really slow for me. I have a pretty fast DSL connection and this is the only site I ever have any trouble with.

JimKW 08-13-2007 07:53 PM

No I do not live that far in the Booneis. I'm only 30 miles from Columbus, OH and people less than four miles from me have cable, but I don't, and for some reason I can not get DSL and I have tried. My only real option is Direct TV's satelite access which my neighbor has, but that's like $600 for equipment and $60+ per month. You guys are not that important to me. I will look into the SprintMobile Broadband.

But the bottom line is that I don't have trouble on any other website that I frequent. It's just this one that is always slow as can be. It does have to do with the loading of the pictures I can tell. But why does it keep telling me done but with errors on the page over and over and over again? Last weekend, when Earthlink is busy and I could not get a good connection I could not even come on this site. I was on all other site and it was close to acceptable, but not this one.

It's not just me and my dial up connection. There is something here slowing things down, but I guess they just make the assumption that everybody has high speed nowadays.

RedTurbo850 08-13-2007 09:17 PM

It's been slow a couple times for me, but overall, i'd say it's been fine (95%) of the time.

I've never had an error message though...What's your browser?

And contact the Admin. He probably knows computers pretty well, and maybe he can figure out the problem...

JPN 08-14-2007 03:28 AM

Jim, I have utmost respect to you, but I wouldn't say things like "You guys are not that important to me." No offense, but it is the people here who have been contributing to some of our knowledge & skills.

As to slow response, I too, feel that this site seems to take a few extra seconds as compared to, say, Yahoo and my connection is 50Mbps. I personally feel that the server used for the site is not catching up. When I used dial-up at my friend's place in Vermont, it literally took a few minutes just to get to a thread. Should you go with wireless broadband, be sure that your internet security software is up-to-date (this may be unnecessary, as you write software).

Also, if you have Symantec Norton, it resides in your RAM at all times and slows things down, if you don't have sufficient RAM capacity (512MB is the low-end standard lately). Also, if you use IE7, the Anti-Phishing filter slows downloading too. I'm not sure about other browsers such as FireFox.

The only two people in this forum I know of, other than the administrators, who could give us useful ideas are Axelm & J Telectro.

I apologise if my reply upsets you. But again, there is absolutely no offense meantto you.

JPN

JimKW 08-14-2007 08:12 AM

It was a joke!! I'm here all the time, but no I'm not going to spend $600 plus $60 a month to have faster access to talk to you guys.That's a fact.

JPN 08-14-2007 08:34 AM

Sorry Jim, I couldn't' get it the first time:(:(:(.

I agree, that $600+ for a faster speed is ridiculous indeed.

JPN

TheSteelKnight 08-14-2007 10:27 AM

but but for 600 dollars you get a cool dinnerplate with a logo on it on your roof, i mean who wouldnt want that :p. good call. 600 is absurd. Yes sprint or any of the other wireless companies for broadband would be a good alternative. Sometimes you have to search a little for isp options. but i have seen your circumstance before, where you think your not that far out you should be able to get service, but cant. Its a sad situation, and unfortunately more often then not when you do get it, its only through some unknown provider and you end up having nothing but service issues and downtime.

I hope you get it sorted out. :)

JimKW 08-14-2007 11:02 AM

I had Roadrunner at my last house and that was great. But I also had a Homeowner's Association that I paid $180 a year to so they could tell me what I could and could not do on my property. Had a rule where you could only have an outbuilding that matched the design of your house and was approved by the Association. In other words you had to spend $20,000 on a friggin shed. The straw that broke the camels back though was when they came out with a NEW rule that you could not cut your grass on Saturday night or all day Sunday. I had already moved by the time that one came out.

TheSteelKnight 08-14-2007 01:05 PM

I thought we defeated the nazi's, not ivited them to tell us how to run our homes. I missed something here.

reg 08-14-2007 05:33 PM

What I have found is my Norton slows the 'start-up' of my computer but it in no way slows down the internet or email.....................Sprint is lightning fast! I use it in all states between Florida and New Jersey and it is the best bang for the buck for $60.88 per month for unlimited use. It is encrypted the same as a digital telephone and therefore it is not 'open' to the public such as WI-FI is.
By the way Jim...............I got your humour............it simply takes a tad longer to get to Japan..........

r.

axelm 09-11-2007 05:21 AM

This will fix the performance problems you guys are having with this forum: https://volvoforums.com/m_72416/tm.htm

Oh, regarding DirecTv satellite link (now owned by Hughes), my mom has that service and it absolutely sucks. If you are into peer-to-peer file sharing forget about it. They don't give you a public IP address. Your addressis inside their network and you can't accept incoming connections AFAIK. You can only establish outgoing connections. That means browsing will work but more advanced stuff will be crippled.