Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Forum Issues (https://volvoforums.com/forum/forum-issues-8/)
-   -   Why does search engine on this site suck so bad? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/forum-issues-8/why-does-search-engine-site-suck-so-bad-59153/)

gdog 11-28-2011 12:43 AM

Why does search engine on this site suck so bad?

Why does search engine on this site suck so bad? I can't even find my own posts with it!

dragonwingvolvoc70 11-28-2011 09:34 AM

i agree there. i have been on many car forums over the years and the search engine here is the vaguest i have ever had to deal with. if you search up a subject(in an effort to not piss off the old timers by asking a multi question) you might get 20 out of a 1000 posts that even remotely relate to what to you were asking about

Burn Stains 11-28-2011 09:44 PM

Much better to do an advance search on Google and have volvoforums.com as the site source. That always works the best.

swiftjustice44 11-29-2011 06:49 PM

i.e. crank sensor removal:volvoforums.com

gdog 11-30-2011 07:51 PM

Yeah, I agree google is awesome.

Just kind of sad, and counter-intuitive to new members, to use google rather than the on-site search engine!

98TurboOR 11-30-2011 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Burn Stains (Post 297558)
Much better to do an advance search on Google and have volvoforums.com as the site source. That always works the best.

The way this works is type into Google, for example:

V70 transmission slip site:volvoforums.com

Google is much better at searching forums, IMO.

swiftjustice44 11-30-2011 11:06 PM

I'm guessing you didn't read all the posts?:D

98TurboOR 11-30-2011 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by swiftjustice44 (Post 297807)
I'm guessing you didn't read all the posts?:D

Seriously, swiftjustice?

"crank sensor removal:volvoforums.com" doesn't work as a search. I gave the OP better advice when I suggested the "site:volvoforums.com" clarification.

I know my post count is 2200 less than yours, but my advice was solid.

swiftjustice44 11-30-2011 11:50 PM

Yes, you're right...it is sound. Without pointing out that I left out "site", it appeared to me you were being redundant. Obviously, after the fact, you were not. And not to worry...I've yet to see post counts have any bearing on accuracy.

98TurboOR 12-01-2011 10:00 PM

And I am duly impressed by your grace. Pleased to make your acquaintance!

I'm a new Volvo owner and very much looking forward to getting to know others in the Volvo world.

dragonwingvolvoc70 12-13-2011 09:07 AM

you know i'm seeing everybody saying use google to search for site info. i gotta say in my opinion if the search tab is really that useless on this site it need to be fixed or removed and members banned from using the ever rude comment to newbies of 'use the search button'.
i realize im newer here but i have already gotten that response from old timers on several occasions and have only found what was searched for and maybe 2 times the other times i found what i was i was looking for after challenging the search comment and getting a link to something offsite

swiftjustice44 12-13-2011 09:31 AM

The search function on all vBulletin format forums is less than ideal; primarily because it ignores parameters less than 3 or 4 alpha/digits.
I'm an active member of Swedespeed, turbobricks, texasvolcocrew and here. Also member of brickboard and volvospeed but not terribly active. Every board has it merits and demerits. Turbobricks, for instance, has so many rude "children" screaming search and also vomiting disinformation that I often have to take breaks from the board just to cool off. Nothing worse than 17 year olds quoting as fact information that they have only "heard"...generally from other members equally experienced.
I feel your pain; no one wants to be hammered by others for asking a perfectly legitimate question. While there is little I can offer regarding fwd Volvos, I do know that, in general, it goes a long way to list the year and model/engine when looking for advice. Too, it's always good to add a disclaimer such as "I've searched but come up empty. If anyone has a link to a thread to point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated."