General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Car Modem Unable to Connect

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Modem Unable to Connect

2016 S60, 2016 V60 Cross Country. Today both cars started showing a message on the Sensus console that says "Car modem unable to connect to a network." Neither car has ever had the onboard modem enabled, nor is there a sim card installed. It seems like some service or function expired today as it showed up at the same time. The cars have different inservice and delivery dates. Can't find anything in the manuals or online about this.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2016 XC70 - "The car modem was unable to connect to a network. Please input the APN received from your provider"

We just starting getting this message on every startup, the first time was on May 6, 2022. Something changed or expired. We also don't have a SIM card in place and don't have any internet service that we know of. If the vehicle or navigation system uses a data connection, we never set it up or paid for it. The car is currently getting new stabilizer links installed at the local Indy shop (95k), I'll see if they know anything about it. I'm guessing there will be many 2016 owners asking about this.

I'll update with any findings.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfisher311
2016 XC70 - "The car modem was unable to connect to a network. Please input the APN received from your provider"

We just starting getting this message on every startup, the first time was on May 6, 2022. Something changed or expired. We also don't have a SIM card in place and don't have any internet service that we know of. If the vehicle or navigation system uses a data connection, we never set it up or paid for it. The car is currently getting new stabilizer links installed at the local Indy shop (95k), I'll see if they know anything about it. I'm guessing there will be many 2016 owners asking about this.

I'll update with any findings.
Similar situation with our 2016 XC60. A post in a similar thread suggested it may be related to 3G no longer being supported. My concern is what if any ripple effects will it have on other vehicle functions (navigation, phone, messages, etc.) Anxious to see what you might learn from your shop.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhb8426
2016 S60, 2016 V60 Cross Country. Today both cars started showing a message on the Sensus console that says "Car modem unable to connect to a network." Neither car has ever had the onboard modem enabled, nor is there a sim card installed. It seems like some service or function expired today as it showed up at the same time. The cars have different inservice and delivery dates. Can't find anything in the manuals or online about this.
AT&T shut off the 3G cellular service. So you are getting the message error. You can go to car settings, internet settings and uncheck the check box next to automatic. That will stop the message error. The GPS will still work, but the on call buttons in the car, the car app will not. Unless you have a 4G modem update. It's about $350.00 plus the install cost and they give you 2 years Volvo on call. Be aware they are having software issues, installing the new modems and they do not work yet.

Old 05-23-2022, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiSox
Similar situation with our 2016 XC60. A post in a similar thread suggested it may be related to 3G no longer being supported. My concern is what if any ripple effects will it have on other vehicle functions (navigation, phone, messages, etc.) Anxious to see what you might learn from your shop.
The phone will work fine, navigation still works in my 2016 XC70, I'm not sure if I can get live traffic updates without 3G. The phone app will not work, nor will the on call and 911 buttons and features. The 4G upgrade will cost you about $350.00 plus the install cost, and they give you 2 years of Volvo On Call. When they figure out the software issues, as my new 4G upgrade is not working. I called Volvo as the dealer did not know why it did not work, nor did they even test it before I drove away after paying $750.00. I got a temporary credit on my credit card. Let’s see how many months it takes them to fix it. I would advice anyone who had this issue to do the same.

I think they may have figured it out on some models as someone posted the same issues, and theirs was fixed.

Last edited by tjptony; 05-27-2022 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ChiSox (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info and very helpful, certainly more than I got from Volvo and the dealer. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
tjptony (05-24-2022)