General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

change key fob battery in 09 S80 help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change key fob battery in 09 S80 help

We just bought a real nice 2009 S80 from an individual. Only one key and fob came with the car. Dealers charge huge amounts to re-program fobs. I've found a local keysmith to copy the laser cut key but.... I'm worried the battery may die in our existing fob.. leaving us with a beautiful, useless automobile that can't be started. QUESTION: I need a rock solid answer to, "Can you change the battery in the fob without the need to reprogram the fob?" Changing the battery is a simple do-it-yourself process but the owner's manual does not give the critical information about re-programming the fob to the car. We also have a nice 1994 vintage Volvo 510 Wagon we will be re-conditioning. Thanks for any help can get.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:38 AM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by voldo
"Can you change the battery in the fob without the need to reprogram the fob?"
Yes

The battery in the remote is there to lock and unlock the car. It has nothing to do with the car starting.

I am confused - a 2009 s80 does not use a key to start the car - it has a rectangular remote with a emergency (laser cut) key hidden inside, and is inserted into a slot on the dashboard, then you push the button next to it to start- the laser cut key inside the remote and is only needed to unlock the drivers door if the battery is dead in the car or the remote. So what year/model are we talking about?

Do you have a rubber handled key with a triangular remote?

Either way the key and remote are two different functions - a laser cut key (that you turn a tumbler with on the side of the steering column) has a chip in it. That chip communicates with an antenna ring and if the chip is recognized by the Immobilizer - allows the car to start. Same thing with a remote inserted into the slot. To make a new key communicate - requires a software download from Volvo, to tell the car to accept the signal from the new key. You can have your locksmith copy your key but it will only open the door - it will not start the car without a download from Volvo. That requires a VIDA subscription and a DICE interface. You, or anyone can do downloads if you have the appropriate, hardware, software and VIDA subscription. It does not have to be done at a dealer -

I did see recently where someone developed a way to "clone" Volvo laser cut chip keys - it was on one of the Volvo forums.

Last edited by hoonk; 01-03-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:22 AM
Question

I indicated that I found a keysmith for the laser cut metal key insert but the issue is: I called it a fob, you call it a remote. Question was and still is: can you replace the battery in the remote without losing the remote's software code registration with THE car? As with TV remotes.. where you do not lose the codes to your devices when you replace the battery???? Very few service centers in my region of the U.S. other than Volvo Dealerships go to the trouble to acquire the hardware, software or whatever for remote module programming. The payback for the dealerships' investment on all that jive must be minimal resulting in ludicrous charges for a fricking replacement remote w/key. What should be a $5 problem becomes a $350 problem. Even some Volvo dealerships I called were uninformed or unhelpful on these matters. In fairness, this seems to be a "Modern Problem" common to most cars from this century. Having driven cars from the previous century for 57years, I find this to be ridiculous.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:57 PM

Question was and still is: can you replace the battery in the remote without losing the remote's software code registration with THE car?
Actually the first word in my previous post was your answer - yes

Old 01-03-2021, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the answer I was hoping for. I assume you have actually done this or can verify it in some way... because I could end up with no car and a fortune in towing and programming.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the answer I was hoping for. I assume you have actually done this or can verify it in some way... because I could end up with no car and a fortune in towing and programming.
At my shop we have sold and installed hundreds of batteries for remotes over the years - It would not be reasonable for a manufacturer to create a remote that would loose it's mind whenever you took the battery out.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not sure why you are worrying about this, the fobs only need programed once, not every time you change a battery. Regardless, the first thing I would suggest is to get another key fob. Expensive? Yes. Highway robbery? Yes. But worth every penny in convivence when you lose yours or it dies due to either natural causes or an accident.