General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Cheap trim - steering wheel peeling

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 02:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheap trim - steering wheel peeling

I have seen this same thing on other Volvo v60 cars. It really ticks me off that Volvo has gone cheap on their trim.

On picture is my Honda that I have @ 121,500 miles on it and the leather steering wheel is still intact.
The other 2 pictures are my V60 with a little under 40,000 miles on it and the leather is going to crap. It has been going to crap for about 1.5 years.

I've also noticed that the drivers and passenger seats are showing marks.

My other Volvo's were not like this at all, not one bit but they were older and of another generation. This stinks. Can you imagine how terrible the steering wheel will look at 121,000 miles.

Volvo wheel is chipping away

Volvo wheel is chipping away

Honda wheel has no chips

Old 02-21-2022, 03:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

"Chips" are caused by something other than age and I've not seem this on a Volvo. However, When my wife's Acura (Honda) MDX was nearly new when she hired a a new caregiver/companion. The woman would drive my wife to shopping, bible study, club meetings, and whatnot. One day I hoped in her car and noticed that there were several "nicks" in the wheel. A few months later I noticed that the number had increased - had at least a dozen. Shortly after this I happened to notice that she wore a big wedding ring Turns out she had lost a lot of weight and the thing spun around on her finger, occasionally facing the wheel. I paid to have it resized and the problem disappeared although the old nicks remained.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:51 PM

True and I understand that but my issue is why one car that I've driven for all those many, many miles (Honda) have no nicks but the Volvo has nicks. I found a link on another Vovlo forum that will help. This cover is a sew on cover and from what I've read on other car sites is really nice.
Maybe certain cars they made softer leather cover for the luxury feel? Years ago the first bonded office chair I bought peeled in about 1 year. It was sold as a "leather" chair but it turned out yes leather but bonded leather, a thin skin of leather. Fast forward, law suits and now you'll see on the boxes the words "bonded leather."

https://wheelskins.com

Old 02-28-2022, 01:55 PM

Received the wheelskin cover and sending it back for a refund. There was no thought given to the shape of the V60 wheel, thumb rests, etc.

This one looks like thought was put into the cutting of the cover.

Amazon Amazon