General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Coolant level low stop engine 2011 XC60 D3 D5204T2

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant level low stop engine 2011 XC60 D3 D5204T2

Hello,
I have a similar issue as described here; https://volvoforums.com/forum/genera...vel-low-72181/

Got a SH Volvo XC60 from Italy and the coolant level alert, stop engine, appears random.
Usually after being stuck in a traffic jam in the city, outside the city it doesn't do it.
The level goes below the Min and when I open the cap of the coolant liquid reservoir, it comes back up.
It happens also on a hill or when cornering. I need to stop, open the cap, the liquid comes back up and then no more warning message.
I have replaced the head gasket, refurbished the Cylinder Head, changed the radiator, added new coolant, changed distribution.

I am not loosing coolant, it just goes below MIN when in traffic jam or hill/decent, and when I open the cap, it comes back up.
Pressure test did not relveal anything wrong.

Is there a way to install temparature sensor for this engine? as I don't have a temp indicator on the dashboard.
Thanks
Radu

Old 06-28-2021, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

as noted in the referenced post, these cars have a closed coolant system. When the car is cold, the coolant level should be above the minimum mark on the reservoir. When the car heats up the coolant expands and flows into the reservoir so the level will go up. If you ever need to add coolant to maintain the coolant level, you have a leak so the issue is where is the coolant going. One though is you may have some air in the system from the recent work. With all your work, you didn't mention whether you replaced all the hoses and the overflow reservoir. Its possible you have a sticky float in your level sensor - and that's built into the overflow reservoir.

Your car does have a temperature sensor - it just may not have a gauge. Not sure how that helps this issue but you can shop for after market gauges that splice into the ECT sensor's signal.

The following users liked this post:
RaduXC60D3 (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 10:20 AM

Thank you for the feedback. No, the hoses and overflow reservoir were not replaced.
The strange thing is the coolant goes down, like the system is expanding and the hoses become larger, it is not going up, not expanding. I am a bit new to mechanics so might still be confused. The feedback I got from some Volvo mechanic is that for this model is quite often the engine block gets cracks and might need replacement.

I need to look then for a temperature gauge then, it's very strange that they did not equip the car from the factory with one.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

what the mechanic is suggesting is that you have may have too much pressure in the cooling system - which can happen with a cracked head/block or head gasket that allows combustion gasses to push into the coolant channels. Two tests can confirm this 1) measure the coolant system pressure when the engine is fully heated (google for the maximum pressure level but but the overflow cap is designed to release pressure when its too high - its something like 1.5 Bar) 2) buy a test kit that measures HCs (exhaust gasses) in the coolant. You can feel if the hoses get rock hard too but that may be a sign your hoses need to be replaced...

Last edited by mt6127; 06-28-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:39 AM

Thank you, that makes sense, I will get one of the test kits that measures HCs.
Now the only thing I need to figure out is if I can still use the car for a 1000km road trip to the sea-side or not. Will try to do the test before.
If there are exaust gases in the coolant, is there a risk that the hoses will burst, or should the cap release pressure if it becomes too high?

Thank you for all the clear explanation, hope I can figure out what needs to be done to get this fixed as I want to keep the car for longer term.

Old 07-01-2021, 04:52 AM

Ok, so I did the test for HC gases, and it turned green. So it means the motor is leaking exhaust gases in the cooling system.
I am also replacing the cap of the expansion tank just to be sure it is not stuck and releasing pressure if it gets too high.

What's the worst thing that can happen if not fixed?

Thanks

Old 08-16-2024, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by RaduXC60D3
Ok, so I did the test for HC gases, and it turned green. So it means the motor is leaking exhaust gases in the cooling system.
I am also replacing the cap of the expansion tank just to be sure it is not stuck and releasing pressure if it gets too high.

What's the worst thing that can happen if not fixed?

Thanks

don’t mean to bring up an old thread, but why wouldn’t you replace egr cooler before doing headgasket and everything else? 🤔