Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Volvo Chat (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/)
-   -   FEEDBACK: I'm Considering a Non-CPO XC90 T6 Inscription with 60k Miles (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/feedback-im-considering-non-cpo-xc90-t6-inscription-60k-miles-97071/)

Latorre 07-15-2018 05:04 PM

FEEDBACK: I'm Considering a Non-CPO XC90 T6 Inscription with 60k Miles

Hi all,<br />I wanted to bounce an opinion of you. I have a 2012 XC60 coming off CPO in the next few months and I am considering buying my wife a clean 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription, however, because it has 60k miles on it, the dealership is not putting a CPO on it. From my experience, the XC60 is a beast and didn't use the CPO premium cost in warranty repair. My concern is the engine, I'm a fan of V6 or I6 engines for an SUV of this size and don't know how a 4 Banger Turbo/Supercharged engine is going to hold up as we enter the 60k+ milage zone, does anyone have any experience or feedback? How about the electronics?<br /><br />Thanks!!<br /><br />Brian

mt6127 07-16-2018 11:48 AM

each year cars get more reliable - yet more complex/modular so while they require fewer repairs, the repairs are most costly... It sounds like you really are interested in insurance against the chance big ticket repair (I can appreciate that as I had a long block installed under a CPO warranty that saved me $9800 on my VW CC). If you like the car, simply price in the cost of an after market extended warranty - check out steingold.com as an example.

eflexter 07-16-2018 11:53 AM

In my humble opinion, anytime you can avoid a turbo on your car, you should. The water jacket design on Volvo turbos is really good for longevity. But.....it ain't perfect. There's no substitute for displacement, and a big under-stressed motor is always better than a little highly-stressed motor, unless you want to save weight! If you like the big heavy engine, you should get it.

mt6127 07-16-2018 06:44 PM

not sure if I'd worry about the turbos vs NAs. Sure there are less moving parts but the killer on any engine is poor maintenance. Turbo engines are not stressed when left stock. As to the device itself, I owned a an 850T from new up to 225K miles without any turbo related issues.Car got regular oil changes and followed standard maintenance intervals...

eflexter 07-17-2018 12:59 PM

My history with Volvo turbos has not been quite as trouble free, losing a turbo (under warranty) on a previous car I had. My current T5 has been fine so far (125K miles) but the old failures tend to stick in the back of one's mind.

tony1963 07-17-2018 01:10 PM

In selling used Volvos for 20 years, I have only ever replaced one turbo and that was on a customer's car a high mileage 940. The repair was simple enough and all of the chatter about turbos is for the most part inaccurate.

The logic above does not hold water with statistics. Since 1970, vehicle engines have been getting smaller and the horsepower has doubled. As such, the vehicles are lasting 3X longer. A 1978 model with 150k miles was probably shot or junked before that mileage, today a 150k mile car is in great shape and running fine.

The way to get more power is to up the efficiency of the engine rather than adding cubic inches. That old Cadillac 500 V8 from the 1970s barely did 200 HP and today you can have that with a 2.5 Turbo engine and get a lot better economy and life.

The turbo will typically last the life of the car. Now, if you do not do the recommend maintenance and oil changes, all bets are off.

eflexter 07-17-2018 02:30 PM

My opinion above didn't stop me from buying a C30 with the T5 engine. I'm hoping this car will change my opinion. Turbos and CVT transmissions are probably here to stay (until replaced by full electric cars anyway). Only good experiences will over-write the old bad ones.

donf 07-18-2018 06:14 PM

Oil change every 3k (synthetic) and let the turbo spin down after haveing the engine reved before shutting off will make that turbo last forever. My S70 died of other factors @almost 300k - original turbo running very nicely after that protocol followed since new.

Is it common for Volvo not to CPO a car after so many miles? 60 k is getting up there anyway.That's a lot of miles in 2+ years, but with a car that new I would guess that maintenance had been done at a Volvo dealership in which case you should be able to find out it's history.
What concerns me most is this - when you trade in a late model car with a lot of miles, you really take it in the shorts - many people who drive that much just drive them forever until they fall apart rather than pay the upcharge for a new car that the dealer will hit them with. Unless -pure speculation - there is something wrong with the car. Which MAY be why the dealer is skimpy w/ the warranty. Maybe not. But I would go over that history line by line and get an independent appraisal.

Volvo has the small engine thing down pat - hell, even Ford has figured it out (must be simple)!