Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Volvo Chat (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/)
-   -   going with no TPMS sensors question (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/going-no-tpms-sensors-question-98604/)

Dave! 12-14-2018 02:34 PM

going with no TPMS sensors question

Hi there everyone! New S60 owner, 2016 R-design T6 E-drive.
Got it in september, and getting a set of wheels for winter performance studded tires.
Heres my question: Can I go with no TPMS sensors in the wheels, and not have any error lights/codes that would disable a function on the vehicle?
For example, on my previous car, a 2013 honda, if there was a fault in the TPMS system you could not turn off traction control. Will the volvo trigger anything such? (besides the obvious TPMS light).

I can go without the TPMS sensors, their expensive. If your smart you always look at your tires whenever approaching/leaving your car, and if your a skilled driver you should be able to feel in the handling of the vehicle if the pressure is low.

-Cheers :)

mt6127 12-14-2018 06:25 PM

first, does your car have metal or rubber valve stems? If you have rubber stems, then you don't have an in-wheel TPMS system - the newer models use the ABS sensor to check for wheel speed differences to alert to a possible flat and don't have a sensor within the rim. With those, there's nothing to do other than have all your tires the same size and properly inflated. If I recall correctly Volvo went the ABS route in 2015

Dave! 12-17-2018 03:03 PM

well, I'll have to check on that. It is funny though that the guy at discount tire quoted me for the TPMS sensors also. lol. If they dont have an in wheel tpms, I'll go back to discount tire once I get the wheels and ask the guy to do the programming for the tpms sensors :D

Dave! 12-20-2018 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 468475)
first, does your car have metal or rubber valve stems? If you have rubber stems, then you don't have an in-wheel TPMS system - the newer models use the ABS sensor to check for wheel speed differences to alert to a possible flat and don't have a sensor within the rim. With those, there's nothing to do other than have all your tires the same size and properly inflated. If I recall correctly Volvo went the ABS route in 2015

Actually it does have the metal stem, so I guess it does have TPMS....

Dave! 12-21-2018 03:40 PM

So no one has tried going with no TPMS sensors?
Does it trigger any disabling features? like a speed or RPM limiter? cant turn off traction control?....

mt6127 12-21-2018 09:11 PM

the metal stem TPMS sensors send a 315mhz signal to report each wheels tire pressure, nothing else. its pretty nice for the car to say you have 32.5 PSI in your right front and 31.0 in the left :-) I'd think if you do away with the sensors you'd have to figure out how to disable the warning and buy a AAA subscription when you go flat. TPMS cam in really handy for me once when I was on the highway in traffic and picked up a 3 inch screw. I was heading to JFK and I was able to watch the tire go under 20 PSI, when I'd pull off the highway, find a station and refill. Made my flight and I changed the tire when I got back...