General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Good Ext. warranty experience? Which company?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Ext. warranty experience? Which company?

I am interested in those who have a positive experience with their extended or aftermarket warranties and which company did you use.
Thanks for the input.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Default RE: Good Ext. warranty experience? Which company?

If your gonna do extended warrenty, your best bet is with the dealer. third parties are sketchy at best.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:53 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1.

Also, please note that extended warranty is 80% of the time waste of money. Dealers & insurance companies use "scare tactics" to loosen your wallet. They would say something like this:"If you drive without this warranty and the transmission breaks, the repair would be $4,000. However, if you buy this warranty package for mere $1,000, all repair bills would be covered"[8D].

An XC90 with GM-built gearbox may be an exception, though (known to go south). In this case, an extended warranty may be worth it.

JPN

Old 10-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extended warranties are one of the biggest rip-offs ever. They are there for one reason only: They make money for the people selling them. But then again I'm a guy who does not even carry collision insurance, because I think it's a rip-off too. Not near as much as extended warranties though. When my Dad worked at selling major appliances and TV's he made more money selling extended warranties than he did on commission or salary. Why do you think they are so pushy at selling them? Not because they are losing money on the deal that's for sure. I bought one once, through a car dealer, and when my A/C went out, I had to fight like crazy to get them to pay. They always come with excuses for why it's not covered.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:23 AM

I bought an extended warranty, through American Auto, Great Coverage! I paid 3250$ for 2yrs/24000 miles, and I've already racked up 7000$ in repairs through them. Not to mention that I think anyday now my transmission will be going....

I own a 2001 s80 t6.. it has 80,000 miles on it now, and i bought the warranty @ 67,000 miles... Heck if my ac went out I already know its covered..

although its gotten to the point where they send inspectors down to inspect the repairs needed...

Before I bought my extended warranty, I knew before hand that I had a bill of 1800$ comming up, so i decided to add 1450$ more for the warranty and I think its more than paid off...

I bought this right from my Volvo Delearship

Old 10-23-2007, 02:16 AM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

Extended warranties are one of the biggest rip-offs ever. They are there for one reason only: They make money for the people selling them. But then again I'm a guy who does not even carry collision insurance, because I think it's a rip-off too. Not near as much as extended warranties though. When my Dad worked at selling major appliances and TV's he made more money selling extended warranties than he did on commission or salary. Why do you think they are so pushy at selling them? Not because they are losing money on the deal that's for sure. I bought one once, through a car dealer, and when my A/C went out, I had to fight like crazy to get them to pay. They always come with excuses for why it's not covered.
That's where Best Buy makes a good chunk of their money.