General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Help...is my first Volvo a Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help...is my first Volvo a Lemon?

I bought a used 2015 Volvo XC60 from a very reputable dealer, with a 3 month used car warranty. I've had major expenses so far and want to know if this is normal for a Volvo. I've had to put in 4 new fuel injectors, spark plugs, the oil separator and breather hose, and now a new A/C compressor. I will have spent close to $3,700 for all of this, just this year with 80,000 miles on the car. Having only owned Toyotas and Hondas, I'm pretty shocked about both the cost of the repairs and the need for such work when the car has been maintained well.. Want to know if this is normal, what other large repairs I should expect soon, and whether I should just sell the car.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Kind of rare for issues with injectors. Volvo uses the same parts as other cars so its not a Volvo thing. Plugs are serviced every 60K miles so that's just timing. Volvos do tend to need the PCV cared for - but on the newer models the oil separator can be replaced without a huge lift. Curious why they decided you needed a breather hose ie did it clog or crack? Does the car consume a lot of oil? As to the AC compressor, that's another surprise for a 80K mile car, unless a prior owner had some improper servicing done. Its more common for the AC clutches to wear - but again not by 80K miles... Do you have a full service history from the prior owners? The only thing that I'd worry about is whether its showing signs of unusual oil consumption ie needing to add a quart or two between changes could be a sign of piston/ring issues. For peace of mind you can always have a compression test/leak down test done but if you're not consuming more than a quart between servicing, you should be good for the long haul. Just make sure you follow the factory maintenance for fluids (oil, brake, coolant etc) and get other components inspected as recommended.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That's kinda normal - for a 160,000 mile car.
Even the plugs seem out of place in that while they should be replaced at 60k I can't believe they would cause problems at 80,000. 4 injectors, hmmm. Do you have the I-4, I-5, - or I-6?
If you have the 5 or 6 and four are bad (very strange) why not do all of them, and if you have the 4 I would think all four going bad at only 80 k is indicative of some other problem causing that which needs addressed.
PCV bad already? Not unless something else is bad (like the oil consumption issue maybe).And the hose? Odd the new hoses last much longer than the old hard hoses.
Compressor, again, I just don't see it. Lasm6tt one I had go bad had about 225,000 miles on it but as mt6127 says, the shim caused problems long before that.

Now, individually I believe any one of these could happen, odd though it may be. But every time you have a problem you seem to get the whole 'replace everything treatment.' So, I now have 2 questions;
1) "Very reputable dealer" or not, what sort of dealer? Volvo? Ford? Toyota?, Independent?
2) Who is doing this work? The dealer? a Volvo dealership?, General mechanic? Indie Volvo mechanic?

I am curious, I will ignore the compressor for now, but what precipitated the other events? Did you get codes, rough running? Were they all linked or 1 at a time?

Last edited by donf; 07-22-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

It's a used car. It can't be a lemon.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lemon is a fruit...a pretty one..it makes lemonade easily.