Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Volvo Chat (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/)
-   -   I know, I know, another request for a radio code :( (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/i-know-i-know-another-request-radio-code-93314/)

acerace 07-20-2017 12:22 PM

I know, I know, another request for a radio code :(

I'm brand new here (and a brand new Volvo owner, Im happy to say), please go easy, I just didn't know who to turn to...

I know you've seen the story a million times, but I really am at a dead end. I had a battery blow up (long story) and replacing that of course lost the code for the battery and the piece of paper I had squirreled away...has vanished.

The twist is that I live in Bulgaria, the car is there, but I am working currently in Italy (from the UK). A friend is housesitting and needs that code.
I tried to speak with the local Italian Volvo dealer and he said that they MAY be able to get it, but the car is old, 1998 V70, and it'd cost €40 even if they can't find it.
So of course, I walked out and said Ill think about it.

Trying to do this remotely is a problem.

Does anyone have a bright idea?
I know I need the serial numbers from the radio, I have those, and I'd have to show ownership, I have those too.

Has anyone had success with online code websites I've heard mentioned?
Is there a universal database for those codes meaning, an Italian or UK dealer could access the code for a foreign car?
Is there any guys or gals here working for Volvo who could help with this....it's quite sad and lonely driving 'Ovlov' (Eastern European name for her) without road tunes!

Seriously, any help of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Nick Ball 08-09-2018 11:00 AM

Yet another radio code

My old and venerable V40 had a battery replacement at the local Volvo dealership. The unlock code on their records did not work and they don't seem to have a solution. I went on a "code breakers" site and paid £18 - they came up with the same code that the dealership had which obviously didn't work. In addition to the VIN I have the serial number of the radio and find it extraordinary that no-one can find or tell me the code. I know that this is a well-worn topic but there must be a solution somewhere! Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, Nick Ball

tony1963 08-09-2018 11:44 AM

I have not had a situation in the US where the dealer couldn't get a radio code. If you share the VIN, I'll call the local dealer and tell them it is a European model. Maybe they can help?

ES6T 08-09-2018 12:56 PM

In the US, we can't look up other market radio codes as far as I know.

If we could, it would be the same one your dealer has access to.

The radio must have been replaced and that is why the one associated with the VIN is wrong. When That happens here, our warranty claims department can get it using the VIN of the car, model and serial number from the radio. I suspect that is what your dealer will need to use, they just don't know how.

Nick Ball 08-09-2018 01:48 PM

Hello Tony
Thank you. The radio (a Volvo system) serial number is VO2080 11715434N.
VIN is YN1VW14K32F852151.
Presumably the radio has been replaced along the line. The code the dealership and I have is 4532 and this is not working.
I cannot believe that Volvo can't sort this out but I really appreciate your offer to help.
Many thanks Nick Ball

tony1963 08-09-2018 01:56 PM

Checking...

ES6T 08-09-2018 07:06 PM

How'd that work out?

tony1963 08-09-2018 08:37 PM

I shared the information with my local dealer. I know that they get busy so I'll probably hear back tomorrow. He was not at all put off by the vehicle having a foreign production. I'm sure that he will call Volvo Sweden if he has to.

ES6T - If you want to take this one over, that's fine with me. I'll step aside and you can help this individual.

ES6T 08-09-2018 08:55 PM

I'm sure he wasn't put off by it being a European model because it's probably the same guy who "confirmed" the XC60 window switch needs programming or the same guy that said 10k to 12k oil changes are fine on 2012's.

Like I said, being US based, I can't help. But hopefully he calls "Volvo Sweden". They have a whole team of people waiting to help US based people get radio codes on European Volvo's with replacement radios.

tony1963 08-10-2018 07:31 AM

ES6T - please step up and share your resourcefulness. You insisted that a US dealer can't look up a radio code even after I offered to help. Then you offered sarcastic feedback when I let the OP know that I was waiting to hear back.

I'm done.

Nick Ball 08-13-2018 04:40 AM

Radio Codes Again

OK - no-one seems to be able to recover the unlock code for my V40 radio. If the code has been reset once then presumably it can be reset again or is it possible to disable the code . At the moment I have a good audio system rendered useless for the want of a four digit code. There must be a solution.