Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Volvo Chat (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/)
-   -   minor changes? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/minor-changes-14783/)

shelbylay 11-01-2007 08:33 PM

minor changes?

What minor ( inexpensive) modifications can i do to a 98 S90? I'd like to have something done, so its not boone stock?
help?

S70driver 11-01-2007 08:53 PM

RE: minor changes?

1. What is your budget?

2. What is your angle? Engine, Suspension, Interior, Exterior?

3. I will tell you that for an s90 there isn't much.

shelbylay 11-02-2007 06:40 AM

Budget- under 1,000
engine i guess rims, maybe a amp, how to wire it ? I have a 10, and its wiered through my back left speaker, sounds good though.
lowering would be nice

S70driver 11-02-2007 09:03 AM

You have to be more specific. Rims and tires would be your budget right there.

jks2 11-02-2007 02:54 PM

Look for some used wheels. You might be able to save some money that way. Even at that I had almost $800.00 tied up when I upgraded from 16" to 17" wheels on my S60 recently. Lowering springs, if available for your S90 would probably run around $250.00+, then you have install costs and realignment. I would install a K & N Airfilter to get a little bit more air to the engine. If the windows aren't tinted yet that would be a good cosmetic upgrade. Expect to spend $150.00 - $200.00 on that. A rear spoiler is another cosmetic upgrade that enhances the exterior. I don't know of many upgrades to the engine. A new exhaust system to open things up a bit is a more expensive upgrade.

S70driver 11-02-2007 03:05 PM

If you do upgrade your exhaust remember your NA. Backpressure is your friend. I suggest a 2.25"-2.5" mandrel bent and or crush bent catback system with a baffled muffler such a Flowmaster. You wont gain gobs of Hp and TQ from this but you will gain something and will also gain sound.

shelbylay 11-04-2007 05:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the info.. I actually have rims and tires on it already. They are 18x8's and look and ride very nice. other then a little rubbing on my strut tower theyre perfect. What about lowering it? and i dont wanna sound like a fart can honda exhaust. explain to me a little better about the exhuast system? please and thanks in advnace for the help everyone, and especially S70 driver. by the way my next car is gonna be a S70, they are sweet :)

shelbylay 11-04-2007 05:13 PM

One more question i promise then im done :) whenever i go to the K and N webite and search by vehicle for an airintake they dont have one for my car.. just a replacment filter? where can i get the whole thing?

tech 11-04-2007 07:53 PM

You won't be able to lower it unless you have a CUSTOM rear spring made.
The front springs are coil springs.
The rear is a single fiberglass leaf looking spring.

shelbylay 11-04-2007 08:00 PM

what would be a good idea on a custom lowering spring .. sounds hard to get? is it?I live in St Augustine Fl, know anywhere?

tech 11-04-2007 08:23 PM

You really aren't that far from me. LOL
But I have no idea of anyone making one as of yet.
You would have to get ahold of an old one from a junk car and search around for someone that could make you one.
I will try to get a name and Phone # of someone in Daytona that might be able to help you somewhat in your search. He has a shop there he does a bunch of stuff. He puts alot of 5.0 V-8 motors in 240's.

shelbylay 11-05-2007 09:43 AM

Alright thanks. ya daytona is like 45 min away from here. Thanks for the help again , and get back to me when you find out more info

tech 11-05-2007 05:34 PM

I forgot to get the number today I will try to remember tomorrow.

shelbylay 11-05-2007 08:02 PM

what exactly is this going to be the number to? lowering kit? exhuast? or what ?
thanks for thehelp

tech 11-05-2007 08:14 PM

It is going to be a Phone # for a guy who owns a shop that might be able to help you find stuff.
He from what I have heard has installed a manual transmission into a 960.
The Cust had bought and had it imported from sweeden to have put in his car.
The guy I am getting you the phone # for is also an electronics wiz.

TheSteelKnight 11-10-2007 08:50 AM

if you havent already check out the regional part of the forum for us floridians ;)