Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Volvo Chat (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/)
-   -   new here and new to volvo (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/new-here-new-volvo-98898/)

19msink52 01-19-2019 10:24 AM

new here and new to volvo

just getting my 1st used volvo ....

1996 850 with 45,000 actual miles ...1 owner ......A/T

what can i expect .....GOOD/BAD

its has been well taken care of..oil changes etc...

was owned by a now 90 y/o lady so i doubt its been abused...

anything i should look for/check before driving it everyday

thanks

mt6127 01-19-2019 01:11 PM

the usual list of to dos:
1) see if you have the maintenance history
2) timing belts are due at 7 years /70K miles so the car should be on its third belt! Service requires belt, idler, tensioner. check for any leakage around the cam seals, water pump and front main seal and refresh if needed.
3) check the condition of the PCV (simple glove test will do). With such low miles, the car may not have had its oil changed often enough...
4) Check the transmission fluid level, color. At that age, I'd probably do a drain/fill just to freshen up - making sure to use the JWS3309 fluid.
5) Check conditions of ignition wires, vacuum lines. These rubber bits age so even with the low miles, you probably will want to do a "stage 0" tune up - plugs (OEM or copper cores - don't go iridium fancy), wires, cap, rotor if there's no record of servicing the ignition within the past 4-5 years.
6) Brakes feel ok? check the rotors for any corrosion/uneven pad wear. Replacing pads/rotors on the 850 is about as easy as it comes. Only special tool is a 7mm allen socket for the fronts and the rears come out via a removable pin. Check for the quality of the rubber hoses. Again rubber ages and it may be smart to replace before trouble happens.

19msink52 01-19-2019 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 469572)
the usual list of to dos:
1) see if you have the maintenance history
2) timing belts are due at 7 years /70K miles so the car should be on its third belt! Service requires belt, idler, tensioner. check for any leakage around the cam seals, water pump and front main seal and refresh if needed.
3) check the condition of the PCV (simple glove test will do). With such low miles, the car may not have had its oil changed often enough...
4) Check the transmission fluid level, color. At that age, I'd probably do a drain/fill just to freshen up - making sure to use the JWS3309 fluid.
5) Check conditions of ignition wires, vacuum lines. These rubber bits age so even with the low miles, you probably will want to do a "stage 0" tune up - plugs (OEM or copper cores - don't go iridium fancy), wires, cap, rotor if there's no record of servicing the ignition within the past 4-5 years.
6) Brakes feel ok? check the rotors for any corrosion/uneven pad wear. Replacing pads/rotors on the 850 is about as easy as it comes. Only special tool is a 7mm allen socket for the fronts and the rears come out via a removable pin. Check for the quality of the rubber hoses. Again rubber ages and it may be smart to replace before trouble happens.

so timing belt even though only 45,000??

thanks

silvermine 01-19-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 19msink52 (Post 469579)
so timing belt even though only 45,000??

thanks

yes.. age not beauty..

lev 01-21-2019 02:53 PM

Did you check the mileage history? Most 850 have bad odometers, see a lot of them with "low" miles...