General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Please help identify this broken part and its purpose

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help identify this broken part and its purpose

My granddaughter was virtually "gifted" an '05 S80. It is in remarkably good shape. In working under the hood (changing headlight bulbs) I noticed an obviously broken part.

It's on the right front, behind the headlight box. The photo shows two parts, which have broken away from one another. The edge of the top part is cracked so it pulled off of the part attached to the hose. What is it? Is it critical? Where might I get a replacement?. I'm learning, but this is a complex vehicle! Thanks for helping.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:18 AM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

vacuum pump switch. The round chrome device below the switch is the pump. Pump operates when manifold vacuum is low to make the power brakes work properly. She needs the power brakes to work properly.

Might be this part #

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...YaApemEALw_wcB

Old 12-02-2021, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks Hoonk..but I still can't find the part.

The blue gray part is absolutely flimsy plastic and cracked. None of the other S 80 switches I looked at had any sort of male connectors that would attach to the part (like the orange connector in the photo). The lower blue part is inserted the hose. . I don't want to pull it out until I know what I'm doing. Rather than bugging you more, do you know of any exploded views of the 5-cylinder engine that might show this particular setup. I do want to fix it, but the top piece in the photo is strangely flimsy, I could break it with my hands. It also won't latch to the circular part.
When you say "round chrome part" do you mean the shiny piece below the hose in the photo.
I apologize for coming back at this. There are many vacuum pump switches in the catalogs, but I still can't find anything that quite looks like the photo.
Thanks again.

Originally Posted by hoonk
vacuum pump switch. The round chrome device below the switch is the pump. Pump operates when manifold vacuum is low to make the power brakes work properly. She needs the power brakes to work properly.

Might be this part #

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...YaApemEALw_wcB

Old 12-02-2021, 08:45 AM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

There are 2 different vacuum pump switches 31400692 and 31400693. Google the pictures. the 692 has three straight vacuum hose connections, the 693 has 2 straight connections and one at an angle. They are shiny black plastic when new and turn grey and fall apart when old. Simply unplug the orange connector and wiggle the hoses out from the plastic fittings. sometimes the fittings break during the process, crush the hose to break up the remains and shake/pick the parts out of the hoses. Install the new one then test the vacuum pump. Turn the key on (engine off) and pump the brake pedal a few times. You should hear the pump come on (chrome round thing under the switch) to make vacuum for the power brakes. A common problem is the switch breaks, making the pump run all the time until it overheats and seizes up.

Or test the pump first by using a jumper wire or paper clip on the two terminals in the orange connector. If the pump does not run it could be seized. Test for battery voltage at the connector, 1 wire is 12v the other is ground. That way you will know if you need both the switch and the pump. If no power/no pump function there could be a blown fuse #33 on the CEM - The CEM is not easy to get to under the dash. Fuse, pump and switch are circled in blue in the diagram

That pump is used when the car is first started and moved - the power brakes may not work adequately if the pump does not function and it will be difficult to stop the car. So - i would advise that and all safety systems to be 100% operational.