General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Redone head, loss of coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redone head, loss of coolant?

I recently did the headgasket on my 2000 Volvo at 70 with the 2.4 Turbo in it originally I originally bought it from somebody who had cooling issues After completing the head and getting the car running I figured out that the fan did not kick on so I replaced both fan modules and successfully got the fan to turn on. Now when I feel the coolant reservoir and the vehicle becomes hot it operates normally until I shut the vehicle off then then the coolant will fill the reservoir leak out just a little bit. After the vehicle cools the coolant reservoir will slowly empty with no visible leaking on the ground any help is needed and appreciated

Old 08-17-2022, 04:25 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to VF Adam.

If I get this correctly . . . coolant reservoir is to it's full mark, you take the car for a spin and get it up to temp and then shut it off. The reservoir slightly overflows a bit and as the engine cools it does suck some coolant back into the cooling system.
If that's correct I'd think that it's posssible the radiator cap is a little weak or that it might even be the wrong cap. They have a pressure rating and not all caps are rated the same. Might be worth a few $$ to just replace it with a new one and see if that cures the problem.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 08-17-2022 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling (again)
The following users liked this post:
Adams v (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Welcome to VF Adam.

If I get this correctly . . . coolant reservoir is to it's full mark, you take the car for a spin and get it up to temp and then shut it off. The reservoir slightly overflows a bit and as the engine cools it does suck some coolant back into the cooling system.
If that's correct I'd think that it's posssible the radiator cap is a little weak or that it might even be the wrong cap. They have a pressure rating and not all caps are rated the same. Might be worth a few $$ to just replace it with a new one and see if that cures the problem.

Yes you nailed it that is entirely the case. But initially that is the 1st thing I thought and immediately replaced the res cap. It seems as though when the res cap is tightened all the way down the pressure is too much for the car and the pipes get rock hard. If I leave the cap a little loose or not so tight It will steam at operating temperature and maintain between the full and minimum line once the vehicle shuts down the the reservoir will fill almost to the top sometimes bubbling over a little bit and then eventually eat what's left in the coolant reservoir. Upon restart the current reservoir is completely empty one's vehicle reach operating temperature and the system pressurizes the reservoir again refills to the halfway mark

Last edited by Adams v; 08-17-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Adams v
Yes you nailed it that is entirely the case. But initially that is the 1st thing I thought and immediately replaced the res cap. It seems as though when the res cap is tightened all the way down the pressure is too much for the car and the pipes get rock hard. If I leave the cap a little loose or not so tight It will steam at operating temperature and maintain between the full and minimum line once the vehicle shuts down the the reservoir will fill almost to the top sometimes bubbling over a little bit and then eventually eat what's left in the coolant reservoir. Upon restart the current reservoir is completely empty one's vehicle reach operating temperature and the system pressurizes the reservoir again refills to the halfway mark

also part replace are
1 ETS ( never over heats on dash)
coolest relay 2
Both main fan fuses ( fan works and kicks on only when the cap it on the res is lose Enough to steam) if the hoses get hard the fan will not kick
the thermostat