General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

S60 Aircon failing, out temp > 30°C

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 Aircon failing, out temp > 30°C

Hi,

The aircon in my 2003 S60 2.4 fails when outside temp approaches 30°C.
It works fine for a while, then the compressor shuts down, and delivers warmer air via the vents.
The compressor then kicks in again for a few minutes after being off for 10 minutes or so. --> Typical of expansion valve freeze-up.
In cooler weather it seems fine, maybe because the compressor is called on to run less.

It is probably coincidence, but thinking back it possibly started after I had the windscreen and drivers side (right hand) window replaced. The side window is Volvo, but the windscreen not, and less tinted. I accept that it will allow more heat into the car, but the a/c should handle that?

I am familiar with the older (electromechanincal controlled) systems, but have been out of the refrig game for many years now. Anyhow I have checked all the "traditional" things, compressor comes on, pressures seems OK, condenser fan on, HP pipes and condenser warm, suction pipe cold, then the compessor shuts down.
I am not sure why, the I suspect that the car's computer computer nowadays controls these things, and I do not have access to it.

Can anyone advise an easy way to access the computer and how to determine the cause of this trickery?

Are there common culprits like a thermostat or other sensor that tend to fail? How does one confirm these?
Can it be caused by differentials in teperature, inside, out, engine, dash, coolant, condenser, evaporator, whatever.

I am reluctant to go to the agents, around here they are notorious parts replacers and I cannnot afford to replace a series of good parts.
Preferably I also do not want to follow the same elimination process.

Out of desperation, I have resolved to evacuate the system this weekend, draw a proper vacuum to get rid of any moisture, and re-charge with 1000g fresh (and dry) R134A.

Any experience shared will be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Cecil

Last edited by Cecil0Lancaster; 03-30-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Again,

subsequent to further checking it appears that the ac stays on from cold start, but afer a warm stop after say 20km to fill up, it stopped.

The engine is now warm, and the cooling fan is not running? I think it should, and was not comfortable letting the car idle and haet up more.

From this I would guess that the AC gets disbled because of excessive engine/coolant temp? - and it makes sense.

How can this be confirmed?

Is there possibly a relay that failed, if so, which would be the probable suspects, and how to check.

Thanx & Regards