Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Volvo Chat (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/)
-   -   So I got an 2015 S60 T5... What now? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/so-i-got-2015-s60-t5-what-now-97172/)

_JustAnotherS60_ 07-24-2018 12:54 AM

So I got an 2015 S60 T5... What now?

So I just got a 2015 Volvo S60 T5, I'm looking to do some mods on it but not sure where to start. I'm also new to modifying cars so starting out with some simple modifications would be a plus. I'm looking to improve the performance and eventually the sound. Any suggestions?

Pretorien 07-30-2018 11:38 AM

I have a recently (February) purchased 2015.5 V60 T5. I would suggest driving it for a while before modification for two reasons.

1. 240HP from 2 liters is already a pretty high state of tune. I'm not certain that there is much more to be had aside from trying to go to the dual forced aspiration system (turbo/supercharger) without affecting drivability/longevity.

2. I have driven a variety of high performance cars including some competition experience over the years. I find that, within the limitations of a FWD platform, there is more than enough power to keep me on my toes when driven hard.

So far as sound is concerned - no clue. I never use a car radio - too distracting.

tony1963 07-30-2018 12:01 PM

I must agree with the above comment. Cars today are tuned for the maximum power, economy and emissions. With the features of today's engines (variable valve timing, variable valve lift, direct injection, etc.) all of the bases have been covered. If you start buying aftermarket "performance" parts, all that you are doing is making someone else a good living.

Now, if you want to go back to the 70s or 80s, there were plenty of upgrades and most of them violated the Clean Air Act when installed.

It is a new day. The car performs quite well as is.

mt6127 07-30-2018 12:07 PM

I agree with Pretorien. About the only mod I'd consider for a new car (say under 5 years old) is wheels, particularly if you live north to have summer/winter wheels. You can run 18s and summer tires then run 16 or 17s (ie the OEMs) with winter tires. The high state of tune usually translates to even the slightest mods to the engine result in frequent check engine lights and a requirement to run 93 octane ALL the time (most T5s run just fine on 87 or 89 with just a few less HP - check your owner manual to see if it says "recommended 91" or "required 91"). I'd also invest in things like floor mats (again if you live in snow/mud country, rubberized winter mats and a trunk liner are handy. If you like outdoor sports you can also look into factory bars for bikes etc or a trailer hitch (for a the hitch mount bike rake). On my old 850 I got factory bike racks and a Thule and got a lot of use from those. That reminds me, I need to post up the roof racks in the for sale forum... After 22 years, I still got the bars and no more car :-). Good luck and enjoy the ride :-)